Xserve as workstation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I mean, the thing is much smaller than the Mac Pro, and it's still super fast.

Has anyone installed OS X non-server on an Xserve and used it like a desktop? You could put a cinema display on top of it and it would be like a Mac Pro Mini.

Or am I missing something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am actually unaware of how this works although it seams like a great idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
According to the site, the graphics card is:

Built-in ATI Radeon X1300 PCI Express graphics board with 64MB of GDDR3 memory and single-link mini-DVI port; mini-DVI to VGA adapter included

Which might make this a bit unsuitable for anything graphics intensive you wish to do with the Xserve workstation.

However it has the following expansion capability:

Two open PCI Express 2.0 expansion slots: one half-length (6.6-inch) configurable slot (x8 PCI Express 2.0 or 133MHz PCI-X) and one 9.25-inch x16 PCI Express 2.0 slot

Perhaps someone knows if 9.25 inch is full size PCI Express, in which case you may be able to install graphics cards intended for the Mac Pro.

Edit: Size would have to be your primary concern though as over here at least the Xserve seems to be more expensive than the Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.