New hdd not detected

Reaction score
Dear,

I have an ibook G4 933MHZ and after years of service the hdd eventually died.

I disassembled my ibook, using a guide on iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and put in an old hdd that I used as external drive.

When I closed up my ibook and tried to install OS X, I did have to format my hdd because it was a FAT32.

After I formatted the hdd the ibook rebooted and there was no more hdd to find. Also in disk utility there was no hdd.

So I thought that maybe something had gone during the formatting, and opened the ibook again. And took the hdd out so I could reformat it on my pc.

Did some checkups on my windows and there was no problem with the hdd after formatting.

Putted the drive back in the ibook and double checked all the connections.

But still no hdd found.

I formatted the hdd to HFS+ and reset the open firmware and reset Power Management Unit (PMU).

Without any success.

Does anybody know any solutions??

Pigmaster

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So if you boot with the OSX CD and open Disk Utility there is no Hard Drive showing? Are you sure you got the Ribbon Cable on the right pins on the drive? What has me wondering is you said when you first put the iBook back together the drive showed up FAT32 and you formatted it HFS+. This was in the iBook correct? And now it does not show?

OP
M
Reaction score
So if you boot with the OSX CD and open Disk Utility there is no Hard Drive showing? Are you sure you got the Ribbon Cable on the right pins on the drive?

Yes I am sure that the cable is connected in the right way, because there is only one way that it fits.

What has me wondering is you said when you first put the iBook back together the drive showed up FAT32 and you formatted it HFS+. This was in the iBook correct? And now it does not show?

Yes, only one time the hdd showed op in disk utilities. And now it does not show up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know it's a PAIN to take it apart again, but I am wondering what would happen if you put the old drive back in? Was the old drive totally dead? Just to see if it would at least show up in Disk Utility.

What are the specs on the new drive? Brand, Size, Model? Right now I am grasping at straws so to speak as it should show up in the disk utility. How is the drive jumpered? Is it like the old one in Jumpers?

OP
M
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
My guess would be the IDE controller (HDD controller) on the logic board is bad. Assuming the HDD and cables are ok, it's not leaving much else to consider.
It's also possible something may have been damaged during replacement. (i.e. Ribbon, etc..)
Not much help, just some things to consider. Lots of straws to grasp...;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so you like my straws eh? :D

Only reason I am stumped is when they put it back together the first time, the new drive showed up, then they formatted it and now it will not show. That is the reason I asked if the old drive showed up in Disk Utility so that could be tried.

I Hope some of what we said here helps out.

On my iBook G4 1.33Ghz I just took out the old drive and put in the new. The new drive was a virgin drive so no format and disk utility picked it right up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Normaly at the and of this week I've got a working identical ibook.
So I'm gonne try to put that hdd and ribon cable in the broken one, to check of the hdd or ribon cable is dammaged.

If it is de IDE controller thats broken, is a new motherboard then the only solution??

I'll let you know my progressions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.