• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How private is your info with Apple Store Geniuses?

Reaction score
I know that the Geek Squad has been accused of looking at people's hard drives and doing who knows what else. Is it safe to assume Apple is more careful about that kind of stuff with people's computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
It has to be somewhere in their privacy policy, or they could be sued if that is true.

OP
M
Reaction score
It has to be somewhere in their privacy policy, or they could be sued if that is true.

It is in their privacy policy. It specifically says your data is exposed. I didn't know they were going to ask for my admin username/password when I brought it in.

I am just wondering if anyone who knows/is a Genius has any insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple employee's aren't allowed to talk about that kind of material, though...

OP
M
Reaction score
Apple employee's aren't allowed to talk about that kind of material, though...

I understand that. But there are always disgruntled ex-employees. You see these posts all the time by former Best Buy or Gamestop Employees who let out these secrets about the crap they pull.

I am not all that concerned, I trust Apple and would think they have more class than that, I was just paranoid and curious.

Reaction score
I can't see why the Apple employees would be different to anyone else.
Some people are nosey. I would not recommend ever giving anyone else the password needed to access any personal data on your hard drive. If you absolutely must give it in for service, you could always put your personal files in a password-protected zip file before handing it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
The two times I had to take my fiance's Mini in for service I cloned the HDD and then reformatted it, just to be safe. I am a little bit more paranoid than most though I guess. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
If its there you can't help to see if some times. I trust apple thought, they won't deliberately go hunting.

OP
M
Reaction score
I can't see why the Apple employees would be different to anyone else.
Some people are nosey. I would not recommend ever giving anyone else the password needed to access any personal data on your hard drive. If you absolutely must give it in for service, you could always put your personal files in a password-protected zip file before handing it in.

Pretty hard to do that when your video card is what is dead. I have a one year old MBP with a bad video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If it's anything like the place I used to work, the technicians a) have language in their contracts to prevent abuse of customer data and b) are much to busy to go poking around in your files.

Obviously that would still not stop a rogue employee from abusing your data, but I get the sense that in the corporate culture at Apple (and the place I worked) that sort of behaviour would be reported to management fairly quickly by colleagues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
It's hard to peg group of people in a specific job role especially when there are thousands of them.

My guess, and my experiences confirmed, apple employees at the retail stores are just like any other person. You have the nice honorable smart ones that are easy to trust, the idiots who make you want to go to jail for assault and battery, then you have the dishonest ones.

There seems to be all types of flavors and just because their name tag says apple doesn't mean anything special.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right, Terrible1one3. A common stereotype because people think that since Apple is "Such a kool cumpany I <3 their stufff" doesn't mean they are all great people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.