RAID setup for Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering what would be a good RAID setup for a Mac Pro for maximum drive access speed? I was thinking of having two 15000rpm drives setup in RAID 0 (striped) and a third drive setup in RAID 1 (mirror of the two 15000rpm drives in case of a drive failure)

Im not even sure if this is possible to have RAID 0 and 1 setup like this, it will be my first time using RAID....

Please feel free to give me suggestions. I'm open to all suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You're basically looking to do a RAID 1+0 setup:

You'd need 4 drives (all the same size) that you could configure like this:

Drive A + Drive B in a striped RAID 1 config.
Drive C + Drive D are also in a RAID 1 config, but are setup to be RAID 0 mirrors of drives A+B.

Nested RAID levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Ok so there is the option of the RAID 0+1 setup like you mention. What about a RAID 5 setup? Isn't that where two drives are striped and one is mirrored therefore offering both speed and safety? I read on apple website that RAID 5 utilise 3 drives and if one drive fails no data is lost. I think I want to do the RAID 5 setup... I wonder if all the drives have to be the same type (speed and size), I'm not so sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.