External hard drive? Do I need one?

Reaction score
I just recently purchased an iMac 24" and absolutely love it! I was wondering if I need an external hard drive as well, such as Time Machine. I don't know too much about it or if I even need one, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Kerry:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook, Imac 24', G4 Cube, Mac Mini
It's not a requirement per say, but it is a good idea to have your data backed up and an external drive with time machine will do that. No matter if you accidently delete a file or your computer has serious issues you can restore. Much better than losing everything.

Apple also makes the Time Capsule which may or may not be good for you. It's does wireless backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Thats your call if you really need one or not. Time Machine is nice, it is the lazy person's backup method, but does what it is supposed to. Personally I always backup my machines, whether with Time Machine or SuperDuper or other methods, better safe than sorry.

OP
K
Reaction score
Confused? Help..

I have a time machine icon on my imac, however I have no explored it. Do i need to get time capsule in order to use time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I have a time machine icon on my imac, however I have no explored it. Do i need to get time capsule in order to use time machine?

No, but you do need some type of external drive to use as a back-up device. A Time Capsule is just one option, one that is also a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
First rule of IT... make backups! It's so easy to do these days, there's really no reason not to. You can snag an external HDD for probably ~$100 or so and save you a world of grief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not sure you can consider an external hard drive a solid backup media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody

Well, really it depends on just how crazy you are about backups. You can use an external HDD, solid state media, online storage, off-site storage, full RAID arrays ..... just depends on the person really. ;)

Reaction score
Personally, I use my external hard drive every day. All my Music, Movies, Anime, Applications, Back Up's, Drivers, TV Shows and so much more are on there. I would recommend having a back up every 2 weeks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First rule of IT... make backups! It's so easy to do these days, there's really no reason not to. You can snag an external HDD for probably ~$100 or so and save you a world of grief.

Agreed. I've heard it said that there are two kinds of people in this world; those who have lost data and those who will.

Purchase an external hard drive that is equal to or greater than the size of your iMac's hard drive. Set it up to do backups with Time Machine and you'll have the peace of mind that comes in knowing that all of the important work you do on your computer (like photos, music and videos) are all safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others say either you have had a hard drive failure or about to - that is the rule of computing so yes an external HDD and use SuperDuper as a weekly backup.

Firewire is faster than USB2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, really it depends on just how crazy you are about backups. You can use an external HDD, solid state media, online storage, off-site storage, full RAID arrays ..... just depends on the person really. ;)
My problem is I work in storage :D :D :D ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Why not? What are the chances that both your internal and external drive go down at the same time? Given that most raid arrays are built on the fact that 2 drives almost never fail at the same time I would think an external drive is a pretty good backup medium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24, Macbook 13
Agreed. I've heard it said that there are two kinds of people in this world; those who have lost data and those who will.

Purchase an external hard drive that is equal to or greater than the size of your iMac's hard drive. Set it up to do backups with Time Machine and you'll have the peace of mind that comes in knowing that all of the important work you do on your computer (like photos, music and videos) are all safe.

Brilliant quote :p
I back up my work to an external hard disk, I do however put important coursework assignments etc to my idisk so I can access them wherever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
To the OP, the consensus seems to be that backups are good and an external drive, if anything, is a convenient and simple way to go about it. Oh, and make backups of your backs - just in case. Belt and suspenders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Simple answer is yes....just look at my signature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.