Network printing with Linksys WPSM54G

Reaction score
I am new to Macs and am trying to use my old print server. I have followed the directions as below

On Mac OS, open System Preferences and select ‘Print & Fax’. Click on the "+" icon (lower left) to add a printer. Click on the IP Printer icon (top). Select "Line Printer Daemon – LPD" and do the following:
In the Address field, enter the IP address of the Print Server.
In the Queue field, enter L1.
In the Name field, enter L1.
Select the printer manufacturer from the pull down menu.
Select the printer model from the scroll box.
Click "Add".
A window should appear showing your newly added printer "L1". Click L1 once to select it. Then click "Printer Setup" (middle right). The Printer Setup window will open. Click on the "Installable Options" pull- down menu and select "Name & Location". The Name and Location window will open. Do the following:
Change Printer Name to the IP address of Print Server
Change Location to IP_[NameOfPrintServer]P1, i.e. IP_LK32B953P1
Click on Apply Changes.

For step 11 (Location) I have used both IP_[printer server IP address]P1 and IP_WPSM54GP1 without success.

I can ping the print server, but all I get when I try to print is that the server is busy.

Can anyone help?

Yes, I did read the FAQ just above, but no answers there either

Reaction score
I think that I've found if not final et leat partial solution to this problem.

I have Leopard 10.5 and was trying to print on HP DeskJet 920c connected to WPSM54G. Tips I've found on internet suggested setting up the printer using LPD or IPP protocols but the only thing I was able to achieve was 1 (literally "one") guess first print job to be printed.Than the printer wouldn't print anything else. Luckily I was able to find solution which works for my HP 920c - guess other HP and maybe other printers too.

After choosing "System Preferences" than "Print & Fax" and "+"mark to add the printer in newly opened printer setup window choose "More Printers" icon at the top than choose "HP IP Printing" - as a matter of fact that was the only option I could choose in my Mac. Than click "Manual" and input your WPSM54G IP address and click "Connect" button. Below IP number you have entered you will see info about your printer that is it's name, kind and address. Click "Add" and you are done. So my conclusion is that if you have HP printer you have the problem solved. Hope this will help someone. :)

Reaction score
Same problem with WPSM54G with Snow Leopard 10.6.3

I have searched every forum I could find and they all basically have the same methods but the info is at least 1 year old. I can not find any updated info on how to talk to this wireless printserver with Snow Leopard.
I have a Canon Pixma iP1800 printer that works fine wirelessly with my XP laptop and also works if connected to my iMac via USB.

I have been totally unsuccessful in getting the Linksys WPSM54G to work with the mac. I'm at the point of buying a new wireless printer and doing an Office Space smackdown on the print server. Anyone out there able to get this thing to work with OS X 10.6.3?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.