read Linux on Mac ?

Reaction score
I have a hard drive that was used in a Buffalo Linkstation NAS.
I removed the hard drive because the device told me the hd was no good.
I wanted to see if I could read the files I have on the drive with my Mac or PC, preferebly with the Mac.
I put the hd in an external case and hooked it up to the Mac and it wants to initialize the drive. I tried disk repair in disk utility and it tells me its a Linux formatted drive.
Is there any way to read these files on the Mac?
Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
ext2 and ext3 both show up on disk utility.
It looks like it has 3 partitions, ext1 is on there too.
I try to mount it and I get the message to run repair disc, but it won't let me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Wait wait wait. Do you mean three partitions, because if you do then usually one of them is Swap space and won't be read by the system. I am thinking this because ext1 hasn't been used in a VERY long time. Heck, ext2 isn't all that standard as ext3 now.

EDIT

Looking at the specs of the machine, it does say that it runs a swap partition, so one of the partitions is not going to be readable. Now, depending on how it is set up would depend on which one it is. Usually it is the second partition on the disk, but this is not always the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.