Regulatory Domain issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17"
hello,

i have a MacBook Pro 17" with airport (AR5BXB72). i am traveling often and have the problem that 802.11a has very different frequency ranges in different country's. is there a way to modify the frequency range which the driver or mac os x does permit to use ? the hardware as such can do 4.9 to 5.9 GHz. how can i tell my macbook to actually use that full spectrum ?

kind regards
Jan

Reaction score
IIRC the channels are set in hardware based on the original country of sale.

That's because in many places you can't sell a device that uses the non-permitted channels.

I'm not aware of any software override for this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17"
hi,

since i have never used this particular wlan adapter anywhere else than in the macbook i cant say that is wrong. but i know for fact that wlan adapters in miniPCI format are not set to certain frequency's in hardware. if they do 802.11 b/g they mostly do something like 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz and 802.11a do 4.9GHz to 5.9 or even 6GHz. those are usually limited by the device driver of the adapter. 802.11b cannels 12, 13 and 14 are legal to use in japan, i doubt very much that someone is producing special hardware for japan for example. and similar with 802.11a channels 183 to 189 which are legal in japan but not most of the channels which are legal in EU or US. i was simply hoping someone knows where i can change the settings. if it really is in hardware, then i am obviously at the end with this.

regards
Jan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.