Boot Camp - Trying to install XP

Reaction score
Hi guys - my first post here :D

Basically I'm trying to install XP, via Boot Camp.

I've followed the steps for Boot Camp e.g. Create Partition (i created a 25GB partition), then inserted the XP installation disk, as Boot Camp told me.

However, on start-up, the XP disk asks me to select which option I want to choose; e.g."A - Install Windows XP Professional SP2". It then asks me to choose what I want and press enter BUT the XP installation disk is not recognizing the keyboard.

Do any of you knowledgeable people know how to solve this problem? I wouldn't be installing XP if Microsoft did a Mac version of Flight Simulator :Angry:.

Thanks
Marc

OP
M
Reaction score
I just realised this may be in the wrong section.

Can a moderator please move it to the best place, please? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of XP SP2 disk are you using? It has to be either a full install MS Boxed XP Home or Pro SP2, or a system builder's full install of XP Home or Pro SP2. OEM branded copies such as from Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc, will not work nor will any kind of recovery disk.

As for MS Flight Simulator, here's a FS for OS X that's more challenging and better designed:

X-Plane, by Austin Meyer

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
What keyboard are you using? Is it a bluetooth keyboard or a USB?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!

I'm using my MSDN disk. Not dell, etc..

Also, I'm using the keyboard built into my Mac - it's a laptop ;), although I do have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected.

Cheers
Marc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm wondering if a MSDN disk will work? Perhaps someone who knows for sure will be able to respond. In the meantime, have a look at X-Plane, I think you'll like it. Unfortunately, it won't run well on a MacBook unless you have a Pro model with dedicated graphics.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for your reply.

I dont know how an MSDN disk wont work :S.

It doesn't appear that this disc has SP2 integrated. I can vouch for the fact that MSDN discs will work, however, the keyboard issue is indicative of a non-SP2 disc.

OP
M
Reaction score
I dont understand how it cannot have SP2 installed on it... It says on the disk specifically "Windows XP Professional SP2"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.