Apple said to ship PowerBook G5 in Q2 2005

Reaction score
OMG OMG OMG PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS TRUE!!!!! Im sorry to open up another "powerbook g5 thread" but I think this seems like it is true. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/14/apple_powerbook_g5/ Many of you may be saying well wont they intorduce the powerbook g5 first before the ibook.....I think not! I think apple nows that the ibook and the powerbook need both a conplete redeisgn and a new proccer. Hey look at the imac consumer line has a g5 and look the emac had an 8x superdrive way before and powermax had it. I think apple is not really looking towards consumer and pro there are fianily relazing ummm what will give us more money and market share. It will still be a big gap, the book g5 1.6ghz wil 4x dvd burner and still featuring the old bluetooh. I mean lets say two ibook models I mean the 1st one will feature the 1.5ghz g4 and the second one the 14inch will feature the g5. It sounds pretty good. Then the 12inch powerbook will top things out at 1.8ghz g5 and the 17 and 15inch 2.3ghz. I mean its a pretty educated guess. I mean i dont think that apple will kepp us waiting for a 167mhz update I honeslty think by sometime in april new powerbooks come up! Trust me its time!! Even a dualcore g4 wont be able to stand up agiasnt the centrinos 200mhz fronsside bus vs 533mhz i dont think so! i think apple is just having problems right now with the g5 chip in the powerbook. I imagine if its not Q2 2005 then the latest Q3 2005. I tihnk if apple wants to go after notebook sales then they have to make their whole notebook line a g5. lets see and well find out!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
theregister said:
Has IBM solved the 970FX's heat dissipation problems, possibly with new chip-making techniques, or has Apple figured out how to keep the chip sufficiently cool to operate efficiently in a notebook? A third possibility exists: DigiTimes has written 'G5' when it should have typed 'G4'.

Certainly, Apple wants to move the PowerBook line to the G5 and will do so as soon as possible. But Freescale's upcoming 90nm G4-class MPC7448 chip has been seen as a more likely candidate than the G5 for the next PowerBook and / or iBook revisions.
From the article, I believe this is more probable.

OP
S
Reaction score
rman said:
From the article, I believe this is more probable.
WIll i dont think so but I really hope they dont put a g4 with 200mhz frontside bus "Ywan" I mean they will need a what 2.5ghz g4 to be even comparable to what a 2ghz centrino. lol I really hope apple just waits and dosent jump the gun and put a slow g4 into a powerbook

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think Apple really cares what Intel produces. They are using IBM and Moto chips sets, so they have to wait on what these companies produce.

OP
S
Reaction score
rman said:
I don't think Apple really cares what Intel produces. They are using IBM and Moto chips sets, so they have to wait on what these companies produce.
I do think apple cares about intel cause they are constantely comparing them to their product for many many many many years!!!!! Now that the g5 is one of the worlds fastest chips they just have to incorperate it in the powerbook. I mean if they didnt care then apple wouldnt have any sales and then they will be stuck at the g4 stages! Plz a dual g4 1.42ghz does not even come close to a Pentium 4 2.6ghz. Apple was lieing and tring to milk the g4 so much to day that it was faster than penitum 3.2ghz do u really want that!! No apple does give a damm about intel and amd if they didnt why didi they switch to ibm?

OP
S
Reaction score
rman said:
Forgot to add something if it wasnt for Ibm Apple would be bankrupt or they would be using intel chips cause apple was actually about to use intels chip but thanks to the g5 they didnt have too. JUST IMAGINE LIFE WITHOUT THE G5!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.