Wheres the best palce to pick up an firewire cable.

Reaction score
My emac's being a jerk. Its stuck on the continuous logo. Wheres the best place to pick uip a cheap firewire to firewire cord, I need to hook it up to my old 10.28 desktop and try and get some harddrive fixing going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Try Radio Shack, if you have one nearby. Seen some for $11. Make sure it's a 6pin to 6pin.
Do you have the install disks for your OS? You may be able to use Disk Utility to help fix some problems.

OP
K
Reaction score
Try Radio Shack, if you have one nearby. Seen some for $11. Make sure it's a 6pin to 6pin.
Do you have the install disks for your OS? You may be able to use Disk Utility to help fix some problems.
I do, but its not with me. So it will take awhile to fix. Do you know the difference with using the cord and the cd? are they the same or both diffferent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I do, but its not with me. So it will take awhile to fix. Do you know the difference with using the cord and the cd? are they the same or both diffferent?
You really need to use the same OS to fix the OS you have. If you're using a different OS, it can make things worse. (for example, use Tiger to fix Tiger) If both Macs are using the same OS, it shouldn't be a problem. You can alo try using fsck, with the same Mac you're having problems with.
Here's the "summary" for the link I posted...

Use fsck

fsck is a command-line utility that may be able to verify and repair a disk. If you can successfully start up in Safe Mode or use Disk Utility while started up from a disc, you don't need to use fsck. However, here are some situations in which fsck may be necessary.
  • Your Mac OS X disc isn't available.
  • Your optical drive isn't available.
  • You can't start with a Safe Boot.
Tip: If you use a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) formatted volume, such as with Mac OS X 10.3 or later, you probably won't need to use fsck. If you do use it for any reason, please be aware that benign error messages can appear. If you're not sure how your volume is formatted and you can't start up from your Mac OS X volume to find out, type the following command in a command-line interface and then press Return: diskutil info /

If you see "File System: Journaled HFS+" returned, you have a Journaled volume.
To use fsck, you must run it from the command line. Unlike using your mouse to open an application to do something, you'll need to type a text command at the prompt (#) to tell fsck what to do. The Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities) and single-user mode are two examples of command-line interfaces in which you can type such commands. To use fsck:
  1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.
    Note: If necessary, perform a forced restart as described in the Emergency Troubleshooting Handbook that came with your computer. On desktop computers, you can do this by pressing the reset/interrupt button (if there is one) or holding down the power button for several seconds. On portable computers, simultaneously press the Command-Control-power keys. If your portable computer doesn't restart with this method, you may need to reset the Power Manager.
  2. At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy
  3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:
    ** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK​
    If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****​
    Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
  4. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.
Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Be very careful using cheap firewire cables.
I bought one and the two machines would not connect, thought i was doing something wrong.
Used a more expensive one that came with an external drive and no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 4gb Ram 1tb, Ipod Touch 1g, iPhone 3G, iBook G4 1.2ghz 1.25 GB
monoprice.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Just go to best buy and pick up a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable for $35 and return it when you're done. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
K
Reaction score
oo monoprice looks interesting. Is the 4pin-6pin firewire the same size as the old ipods? I have like a first or 2nd gen lying around doing nothing, maybe I can get it modded or something.

I tryed the fsck, its aevil thing. hasnt done anything. Ill see if i can try the reboot cd. If that doesnt work then ill cry since I dont want to pay 100$ for disc warrior.,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
oo monoprice looks interesting. Is the 4pin-6pin firewire the same size as the old ipods?

I'm pretty sure the original ipods had full 6 pin firewire ports, so you need a 6 pin to 6 pin. the 4 pin was kind of a sony/pc thing and apple never uses it to my knowledge.

Consider this another vote for monoprice.com. Friends don't let friends get ripped off on cables at brick and mortar stores.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.