Why I'm switching

K

ksun

There are a lot of reasons to switch, and all are good enough. My story isn't important, but if someone else can agree, then that is cool.

I work for the world's largest CPU company (any guesses?) and I have a ton of junk on my desk at home - drives, pci cards, software, on and on. I am always fiddling with my WinXP box, and I do some stuff on a xeon server I built where I have Linux and Windows server installed. Wires are strewn throughout.

I am ordering a 20'' iMac in a few weeks, with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. After I get it, I am moving all my files to the iMac, and selling all my PC junk. Yes junk. I made a commitment to simplify my life, and I see my stupid PC as being the center of gravity for my life being cluttered.

With selling all my pc stuff, I will surely have enough to pay for the new machine. It kind of sucks going to a lower processor, and fewer machines, but I am looking forward to it.

I made this decision before Macworld but with iWork and new iLife and everything, now I am considering not even buying office for Mac, and I am a happier person. My office won't be a place to store computer junk anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
cool man right decision!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Welcome to a simplified Mac World :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
ksun said:
I work for the world's largest CPU company (any guesses?)

Motorola, the company that makes all them ARM chips for phones, PDA's, cars, fridges, washing machines etc etc? :p

Or did you mean largest as in biggest ego?

Amen-Moses

OP
M

meltbanana314

Amen-Moses said:
Motorola, the company that makes all them ARM chips for phones, PDA's, cars, fridges, washing machines etc etc? :p

Amen-Moses

He's in Phoenix, and I'm pretty sure that Motorola, IBM, and Intel all have businesses or business interests in the Phoenix area.

ksun - Nice to see a fellow Arizonan here. :)

Reaction score
Congrats on making the switch!

I just ordered my first Mac a few days ago. Still won't be here for a couple weeks, but I feel better already. The only part I'm not looking forward to is having to sell some PC "junk" as you put it. eBay is such a pain in the @ss. Anyone looking for a high end PC? The one in my sig is for sale.

OP
?

)(*

thats actually a main reason i switched as well. everything is so much more....simpler. More practical.
its like when your young, you customize your car, or computer.

But when you get older, or wiser, you get what you know isnt a hassle.

OP
S

SpliceDWDM

torchy said:
Welcome to a simplified Mac World :)

I have to agree...I already love it, and I haven't even gotten my Mac yet (on or beofre 02/14/05). The egotism dosen't seem to be as prevelant in the Mac forums (more helpful people).

OP
K

ksun

Amen-Moses said:

Amen-Moses
Guess I should have specified "PC CPU's"

Ego is up to your interpretation. :closed:

As far as switching back and youth and modding and all ... yeah, I using my PC the other day and thought to myself "You know, I spend a lot of time finding applications and trying to get them to do what I want. Same with hardware. I just wish it were easier."

I reflected back to before 2000 when I owned a B&W Powermac and thought about how I used to use a computer back then, in my college days with programming classes and working the tech support at the campus library no less. I used to use it to do the things I wanted. I love the idea of having all the iLife apps to do the things I want to do. That is really all I need. That and surfing and email. Other stuff too, but we'll see what comes up.

I don't know why I ever caught myself up in the idea that I needed a "fast" cpu and I had to be able to play the newest games, and I have to be able to do work stuff at home. I don't do anything that requires a specifically fast cpu, I don't play the newest fastest pc games (WC3 is all I play), and I don't want to do work at home. :)

I am sure that some people will kind of be mad that I am saying "I don't have to do x, y, and z so I choose a mac even though it is limited." I am not really saying that. What I am saying is; The iMac will do exactly the stuff I want to do as far as power, and I love OSX and iLife (looking forward to iWork too).

I'll give you guys the specs of the iMac I am going to order, see what you all think. 20" iMac with 1 Gig Ram (2x 512), 250 Gig HD, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse. I think I will order VPC from Amazon. I know some people hate "running garbage os's on OSX" but I use VMWare now, and really use it. Any other software you guys would recommend for switching over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Your Switch

ksun said:
There are a lot of reasons to switch, and all are good enough. My story isn't important, but if someone else can agree, then that is cool.

I work for the world's largest CPU company (any guesses?) and I have a ton of junk on my desk at home - drives, pci cards, software, on and on. I am always fiddling with my WinXP box, and I do some stuff on a xeon server I built where I have Linux and Windows server installed. Wires are strewn throughout.

I am ordering a 20'' iMac in a few weeks, with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. After I get it, I am moving all my files to the iMac, and selling all my PC junk. Yes junk. I made a commitment to simplify my life, and I see my stupid PC as being the center of gravity for my life being cluttered.

With selling all my pc stuff, I will surely have enough to pay for the new machine. It kind of sucks going to a lower processor, and fewer machines, but I am looking forward to it.

I made this decision before Macworld but with iWork and new iLife and everything, now I am considering not even buying office for Mac, and I am a happier person. My office won't be a place to store computer junk anymore.

Cool story, a nice balance of irony and zen there. I'm in the process of doing much the same thing except that I'm keeping my custom built P4 desktop, getting rid of all my junk and unused cards/peripherals, and adding a powerbook. Once I build up a Mac software library for the PB I'll decide whether to be a cross platform user or trade in my P4 for a sweet liquid cooled PowerMac.

I'm not there yet though.... There are so many reasons to go with either of these possibilities. Mac has the hardware and Windows has the business support, popularity and software choices. Oh how I wish for convergence!

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

well you made the right descion, i Work in IT all day (Windows Citrix Environment) and I'm glad to get home to use my MAC without all the fuss of wether anythings going to work or not. Its great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.