Dead graphics card

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro with a dead Graphics card

Everything is on that machine, and i would like to get some of the dato over on my MBP. I have tryed to start it up in Taget diskmode, both with and without the graphics card in the machine.
Is there a way to get the data from my Mac Pro to my MBP without the graphics card?

Also, i have a couble of USB disc in raid. I have tryed to connect them to my MBP, but it won't regonize them as a single disk. I can see in disk utility that they are connected. Is there a solution to that problem?

Thank you very much for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, target disk mode should work without the graphics card...? Are you sure you're doing it correctly? (Turn both machines off, then connect them with a firewire cable. Then press the power button on the mac pro and press and hold the "t" key once you hear the chime).

Alternatively run to your local electronics store and pick up a USB to SATA adapter kit or external USB drive case. Yank the drives out of your Mac Pro and bob's your uncle.

OP
P
Reaction score
#2 Yes, i have done it properly.
Getting a SATA adapter brings up another problem - How do i read the RAID discs? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If TDM isn't working, then this begs the question.... are you SURE your problem is the graphics card and nothing else? Can you be more specific on what issues you are facing when turning the system on normally?

OP
P
Reaction score
After alot of tryes it suddently worked in TMD.
But unfortniatly i access my external drives over it.
So now i am trying to access the data by booting the computer without display.. And i actualy think that it works.

Yep it works.. All problems are solved. Just needed a bit more patience. I am sorry to have taken your time.

Thanks for your quistions everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No problem, glad you got it working!

There's nothing worse than having data trapped on a drive you can't get at...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.