write this app

Reaction score
Here's an application I would like to see made, unless I've missed it so far. I have a 3 and 5 year old, along with some preteen nephews, and, honestly, I hate when they want to play with my iPod Touch. Selfish maybe, but it's a $400+ dollar "toy". I tell them to stay out of certain apps, mail, my game on Enigmo, but I've the other day I was mysteriously missing a saved game.

My idea: a "kid safe" app that, when activated, locks whatever applications on the Touch/phone you have specified. They can not be opened and messed with (e.g. Settings, mail, a frustratingly high level of Enigmo, etc.). To unlock the specified apps again, hit the "kid safe" application icon and enter a password.

Seems brilliant... to me. Someone write it and my kids will love you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They basically already have this:

Enable "Restrictions" and you can set which apps are enabled..,

*EDIT*
Hmm, I just tested it and you can only disable a few things such as safari, youtube etc.

But this would have to come from Apple, 3rd party apps can't interfere with OS functionality or other apps like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yup. Save for jailbreaking, there's no way for anyone to write such an app. That said I think Apple should extend their restrictions to include any installed applications...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.