• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

I'm very new to Mac, and I have some video editing questions.

Reaction score
So basically I'm really new to the Mac. Like, a few days into having my new computer new. I got it for many, many reasons, but a big one was being able to use iMovie and stuff like that. Seemed like a fun thing to do. Well, I didn't do all my homework because my video camera records and saves media as .mod, and the only way to get them to play on the Mac is to rename them .mpeg. None of them will play or anything in iMovie.

What can I do to repair this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I love the Mac so far, by the way.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Convert them with mpeg stream clip BEFORE importing to imovie

OP
V
Reaction score
Convert them with mpeg stream clip BEFORE importing to imovie

I'm not really, uh, slick to video editing and converting and things like that. I appreciate the help! I'll see what I can figure out.

EDIT.

Eh, it tells me I have to pay 20 dollars to do it. I guess I'll either have to suck up the loss or buy this, or Quicktime Pro, or something like that.

Reaction score
you don't have to upgrade QuickTime to pro! if you go to Mac Freeware and Free mac Software for OSX you can download free video converters. you just click on the movie file and drag it into the app. also you can click add file, or whatever it will say and then you can have it convert it to usually any format you want! I am new to mac myself ( one month) and only been using computers for 6 months!!! This will be easier than you think! I can answer any more ? if you still need more help. the video part on the mac is pretty much all I have been good at on the mac, I haven't been able to understand how to use Automator or AppleScript, etc. so don't feel bad...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.