Connecting Guitar to GarageBand

A

Aanidaani

Hey guys. Recently I've been looking around for a way to connect my guitar to my PowerBook so that I can record in GarageBand. After poring over tons of webpages, I can only find two ways: just buying an adapter plug at a computer store, or buying the connector cable from Griffin Technology (www.griffintechnology.com). The first is cheap, but has some drawbacks, so I hear. The other I haven't heard much about, but it costs $24. Can anyone tell me which is the best solution? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically you just need an adapter plug to make the larger connection of a guitar cable fit the smaller jack on the powerbook.

Any adapter will do, but some are better than others in terms of quality and durability.

If you just want to record some rough demos, a 2$ connector from wherever will do. For more professional recordings you'd want an external firewire audio interface anyway, so I wouldn't bother with griffin's part...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
acrtually i do not believe that there is a audio inport in the powerbook, a usb or firewire adapter should be the way you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
PowerBookG4 said:
acrtually i do not believe that there is a audio inport in the powerbook, a usb or firewire adapter should be the way you go.

theres a mic input... so yes there is.

Just get a converter with a 1/4 inch female and a 1/8 inch male... tha should work... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
no- that has a 1/4" male and a 1/8" female. He wants to use his normal guitar cable and just stick something on the end of it and be able to plug it into his PowerBook...

more like this

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
doh .. wrong image link copied .. heres the one i meant:

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
That's wat i use on my PC to record... It sounds like crap and it's very blurry. I would suggest an external USB thing. Like the thing from Griffin. But then again you would still need that adaptor above this post. So i have no clue. Try it and see if it works with the microphone port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.