Powerbook G4 won't turn on.

C

chobbney

Hello,

We have a Powerbook G4 that is completely dead. The battery has no lights when I press the button. We have tried with/without the battery when we try the AC Power Supply, and nothing seems to work. We've tried pressing the Ctrl + Command keys when pressing the power button, still nothing.

If the battery is completely dead, should the laptop still start up if the AC power supply is plugged in? Or does a dead battery prevent the laptop working?

Thanks

OP
V

vtupser

I think you have to have a battery in the powerbook to complete the electric bridge in order for it to work. You probably need a new battery.

OP
M

MickMAC

Nope, you don't need a battery in your powerbook for it to work. Have you tried a different power supply? Take it to a Apple Store and have them try one of there plugs that will tell you right away if yours is bad. If it is bad and the battery has no charge and the computer is not getting power from the supply it will do nothing...

OP
C

chobbney

Thanks for the info.

I'm getting a new battery today, so we'll see what that does.

Cheers.

OP
F

flonejek

Does the light on the plug go on when you plug it in?, if it doesnt the batteries fine, but youll need a new power supply

OP
C

chobbney

flonejek said:
Does the light on the plug go on when you plug it in?, if it doesnt the batteries fine, but youll need a new power supply

There's no light on the Power Supply - it's probably the old type.

Anyway, it's now working. I tried the new battery - still nothing. Then I lifted the keyboard and checked the RAM was seated OK (which it was) and then put the keyboard back and tried it and it now works. And the Power Supply is working fine.

It was clearly some hardware issue, but it works now. Cheers for the help everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
this is a interesting, problem.. wonder what was wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.