File Sharing between two Macs

Reaction score
I have few questions about file sharing between two Macs. I have two computers connected to the same router at home. If I add a folder to shared folders list and allow access to "everyone" then I see the shared folder on the other computer and can browse it. If I choose "No access" to "Everyone" then I do not see the shared folder on the other computer. My problem is that if I allow access to "Everyone", then when I take the computer to my school, it will allow many other people access to those shared folders, which I don't want. My question is:

How do I restrict access to specific users, say only myself?
Can I set it up such that they need to enter Password before they get the access?
Also, in the users list I see 3 categories

MyName
Users
Everyone

Since, MyName is already present in the users list, do I need to add a new user if only I need to access the computer.

Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options

Uncheck "Share folders using AFP"
Check "Share folders using SMB"

Once this is done, the connector will be required to enter the password for the host computer's account. This worked for me at school.

Good Luck
~joe

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks very much Joe. I thought AFP was more secure than SMB. I will try what you are suggesting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.