Airport Express & Airtunes

Reaction score
Hi

I'm hoping someone here can perhaps help me as I have been trying to research Airport Express and have been reading many conflicting things that have really confused me!

Basically, I have a MacBook and I use a Netgear modem router to access the internet on it (wirelessly ofcourse)

I want to get Airport Express so that I can use Airtunes.

Will Airport Express work with a Netgear router or does it only work with an Apple basestation?

Also does the Express always have to be plugged into the router?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
If you just want to use your airport express as a media server for itunes & a print server, then you can do that wirelessly by configuring your airport express to join your existing wireless network. Just type in the existing wireless network details & give it a restart, it should join your existing wireless network straight away.
But if you want to create another separate wireless network or create a bridge with Airport Express, then yes, your airport express will need to be plugged in via ethernet port with you modem.
So it totally depends on your purpose, how you want to use it.
If you can be more specific about your scenario then I can provide you with further instructions on how to configure your airport express.
Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.