Photo Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I'm looking for some good software to manage my digital photos. I use photoshop CS3 for editing and currently iPhoto for storing everything. But I'm finding it very limiting on what it can do.

Is there anything better? Doesn't have to be free but it helps lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
The best and the two used by the pro's are Apple's Aperture and Adobe Lightroom. I use Aperture and think it is great others will swear by Lightroom. Both have trials that you can download and try. Neither are free but life's like that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
And just for the record, once you have settled on your editor of choice, you can set your iPhoto preferences to use that as the default editor. Then when you want to edit a photo, the editing software will open, you can modify, and when you save, iPhoto will put it back were it belongs in the library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I use lightroon. I need to upgrade to LR2.

I deleted iPhoto after it ate my David Allan Coe photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I use

Microsoft (yes, MS) Expressions Media 2. MS bought iView and are continuing to develop it albeit more slowly than some would like. If you have PS, you can buy an upgrade EM2 (don't ask me why. But PS is on their list of programs that entitle you to an upgrade rather than full program). It is about $99 US as an upgrade. It is working perfectly for me. I cannot use the other programs (Lightbox or Aperture) as they are jpeg driven and I use a lot of .pngs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
I use Bridge that comes with photoshop and it works just fine. I keep all my photos arranged by folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Microsoft (yes, MS) Expressions Media 2. MS bought iView and are continuing to develop it albeit more slowly than some would like. If you have PS, you can buy an upgrade EM2 (don't ask me why. But PS is on their list of programs that entitle you to an upgrade rather than full program). It is about $99 US as an upgrade. It is working perfectly for me. I cannot use the other programs (Lightbox or Aperture) as they are jpeg driven and I use a lot of .pngs.

What do you mean by jpeg driven, like they just won't except png? I don't think I have a single jpeg in my Lightroom library, all RAW in there.

OP
eddielee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Hummm... I'll have a look at bridge then being as I already have it. But I do use a lot of PNG images as well so I would need something which would accept those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Re Lightroom

I don't have it on the system anymore, but yes, I seem to recall it would not handle .pngs. Bridge handles them well but the problem I had with Bridge is that it would not let me (and a couple of other people I know who were trying to use it) write metadata to files on an EHD. I do not want all my images on my hard drive--I just have too many so that was what killed Bridge for me. I did go to the Adobe Bridge Forums and was told this should not be a problem. Well, it was and is and I am not the only one with it but I am not savvy enough to be able to fix these kinds of issues and I couldn't get a forum response other than it should not be happening. Hmmmmm.

If I am wrong about Lighthouse and Aperture, my apologies. I did test both of them and neither passed and my memory recalls it was because of .pngs. My hobby is digital collage and .png managment is crucial for me.

The only other Mac program I could find in a hobbyist price range was Mediadex (slightly pricier than Microsoft Expressions Media 2 upgrade). It was quite flaky and has absolutely no support whatsoever whether by forum or email which is nasty when you fork out $140US for a program. It is a nice program but I thought it was being abandoned. Otherwise developers would respond to urgent email one would think.

If you don't need .png management, that is a whole different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
bringing life to the question with no answer... About photo software. I just received a Canon Rebel Xsi and want to learn how to really use it, but as far as software goes, I am a student and can buy discounted software. My current plans are to use the camera for action/sports shots while learning and then maybe, if I get good enough, move into business doing this. Alot of rambling to get to the point, but I can not find a page that compares PS Elements to CS4 (and extended) to Lightroom. The adobe site wants you to combine CS4 and lightroom. I am wondering if I should take advantage of the savings as a student and just jump right to CS4/lightroom combo ($400 total for both full versions, not student editions) and just learn them as I go. Sound crazy or overkill? I like alot of the features of them all, but would like to see side by side comparisons. Also, any sites list what features are NOT included in the student versions? I can get both full and student versions at a discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.