Sleeps but periodically wakes while lid shut...

Reaction score
So I just got the brand new 15.4" MacBook Pro and I love it! But I noticed the Apple on the lid had been lighting up periodically when it was sleeping. At first, I thought it was normal and something new that the new Apple's do. But I lifted the lid when the Apple was lit and come to realize it wasn't sleeping and the screen was on. So it is sleeping, waking, sleeping, waking, over and over... ***...

Bluetooth is off. No USB's plugged in. etc.

I did some searching, and it doesn't sound like anyone got any for sure answers. But so far I've narrowed it down to possible the magnet is bad? Bummer.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There could be something running in the background that you're not aware of causing the machine to wake. If the machine goes to sleep when you close the cover, the sensing magnet and circuit is probably OK. Open up your Activity Monitor application and see if you can find out if anything may be running in the background. If you're sure nothing is running that could possibly cause the machine to wake, it may be time to give Apple support a call or pay a visit to your local Apple store.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There could be something running in the background that you're not aware of causing the machine to wake. If the machine goes to sleep when you close the cover, the sensing magnet and circuit is probably OK. Open up your Activity Monitor application and see if you can find out if anything may be running in the background. If you're sure nothing is running that could possibly cause the machine to wake, it may be time to give Apple support a call or pay a visit to your local Apple store.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You can test the magnet by putting another magnet next to it while the lid is up. Not sure on the MBP, but on the Macbook it's on the left side of the LCD, where I hang my remote when it's not in use. I learned of this because I have eyeglasses which use fairly powerful little magnets on the bridge to affix a pair of clip-on sunglasses (or mag-on I suppose) and I was curious to see whether they'd hang off the side of the screen (I can stick these glasses and the clip-ons to anything ferrous, such as my refrigerator or desk when I don't need to wear them.)

Lo and behold it caused my Macbook to go to sleep! Get a fridge magnet to test that part. Otherwise I'd say reset the PMI, which is what Apple Care told me to do when I had a wake-when-lid-closed issue with my Macbook. Do a google search and you'll find the procedure.

Reaction score
sometimes when i have some usb devices plugged in my macbook awakens while its closed. try unplugging all ur usb devices :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I had this problem on my iBook (same principle though) and I found a dog hair had got under the keyboard and across the magnet - little buggers get everywhere :Grimmace:

Cheers :)

Hugh

ayn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
there is a long thread about unibody MBP sleep/wake problems here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
*gasp* It seems a lot of new unibodies are having this problem :(

My MBP from February of this year had this problem for about a mouth until apple released a software update.

OP
D
Reaction score
No solutions yet. Anyone else having this problem? It seems to be isolated to the (late 2008) MacBook Pro unibodies..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.