Boot Camp: Windows suddenly demands password

Reaction score
Hi!

Ive got a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5. I am also running Boot camp with Windows XP Pro SP2.

Ive been doing so for a couple of months, and it has worked excellent. But now, totally from out of the blue, windows require me to type in username and password to log onto the system. This is so annoying and it prevents me from doing a lot of work which I need Windows to do. I did not create any password or username for my account when I installed the software.

Can someone please help me to solve this problem? Is there anything I can do to get into the system? Simply clicking OK and leave the fields blank does not work. Neither does starting the Windows-partition from boot.

Im looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Tom Hansen

Cam

Reaction score
Good old windows! I haven't tried this with bootcamp, but hold f8 before the windows screen comes up - just to be certain I'd hold alt on start up, click boot from the windows disk and press and hold f8 from that point on. Hopefully the boot screen for windows will appear, select 'boot in safe mode', then once booted make your way to the account settings , see how it looks.

AKH

Reaction score
of rowdyism

Hi,

I have the same problem. I've tried to do as Cam suggested, but it doesn't work as I'm still asked for user name and password when starting up in safe mode.

I have a MacBook running OS X 10.5.8 and Windows XP via BootCamp. I've been able to boot in either OS X and XP without problems, but suddenly Windows has started asking for a (to me unknown) user name and password (which it didn't previously - it just started up without password) and now I'm unable to log on in Windows mode.

This happened after I created an additional user account (also admin) in OSX - I don't know if this has anything to do with the problems with booting Windows?
I can still log on to OS X using both user accounts, but none of these usernames/passwords enables me to log on to Windows.

Please help...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like XP may have suffered from some registry damage or has become confused. You could try a repair using your original Windows XP CD and booting with it. However, with this method you'll lose all your updates and can possibly lose data. Last resort only.

BTW, booting in SAFE mode will not work. Otherwise, what sense would it make to even have an ID and password?

Try the method given at this LINK. The software will allow you to edit the SAM file in Windows\System32 that contains the password files. With it you can zero out that file and get back to normal.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.