• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

First Presidential Election

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Next Tuesday will be my first presidential election! I am really excited about it.

Is this anyone else's first presidential election? This can apply to Canadians as well from last week's Prime Minister election.

Also, for people who haven't voted before, are you excited? And for people who have voted, any interesting stories or memories?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've voted in the last two elections. What I find amazing is how empty the polls usually are. If there's a line, it's usually no more than 3 or 4 people deep (and that's only during a presidential election). I'm hoping that with the unprecedented issues this country is facing, more people are inspired to vote this time around.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Ideally, nobody but me would vote :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I've voted in the last two elections. What I find amazing is how empty the polls usually are. If there's a line, it's usually no more than 3 or 4 people deep (and that's only during a presidential election). I'm hoping that with the unprecedented issues this country is facing, more people are inspired to vote this time around.

Really?!? Not when I have gone out and voted, and I always vote early too! Last election I waited in line for at least 30 min. This year I voted by mail though, already cast my vote!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
I went and early voted today... I waited maybe 10 minutes but there was a pretty good line when I left.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Really?!? Not when I have gone out and voted, and I always vote early too! Last election I waited in line for at least 30 min. This year I voted by mail though, already cast my vote!

Every single time, I swear. I have never waited for more than a few minutes. Either PA has done a good job with distributing polling places by population (unlikely) or the folks in my area just aren't active. Not sure, but I'd gladly wait for hours to get my vote in. I hope everyone feels the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm just hoping all the popularity of voting doesn't wear off after the 2008 presidential elections. It's been my observation that most folks only vote every 4 years, and then go back to sleep thinking they've done their duty once they leave their polling place. I'd really love to see the same hype and attention to issues brought out when our legistators come up for reelection. While the President is a powerful figure head, the actual legislation, bills and budgets all go through the House or Senate at some point. Regardless of political party or affilliation, it would be refreshing to see the same media spotlights pointed on every official up for reelection or attempting to make a play for a seat. IMHO, the legislative branch needs much more attention, especially after elections, than we have ever given them. Presidents can screw up for 8 years max, but legislators can go on for decades in their jobs.

Reaction score
It's nice to see that someone has finally gotten it right. Indeed the president may be the figure head, but he really doesn't have all that much to do with what happens in the country. The Senate and House are where the laws are made and the money is spent. If you don't like the way the country is going, the first place to start changing it is there. If you keep reelecting the same people, then nothing changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's empty when I vote every time (not every year, as often there are only local only ballot measures I could not care about one way or that other)! At 6am, when the polls open ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
"If they thought voting changed anything, they'd abolish it." :)

i.e.: see Electoral College

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
It's empty when I vote every time (not every year, as often there are only local only ballot measures I could not care about one way or that other)! At 6am, when the polls open ;)

6am? lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Lots of states do early voting starting a week or so before and many folks do absentee ballot voting (myself included)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of states do early voting starting a week or so before and many folks do absentee ballot voting (myself included)...
yea, but your vote is counted after those taken on election day (at least here in AZ)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
yea, but your vote is counted after those taken on election day (at least here in AZ)

Does that matter? Many states count them as they come in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that matter? Many states count them as they come in.
depends on how you look at it. Election results, and concessions, are generally completed by 2am Pacific time the day after the general election. Theoretically, with the increase in absentee and early ballots.. it could make a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I have 5 years left until I can vote. :)

The town I live in is tiny. When I go with my dad to vote, there is usually no more than 4 people in line. Small town blues. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Here in southern California there are already huge lines to get early voting in. A couple hours long in some places...

Oh, this is my first presidential election too!! and I'm working the booths.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I just got out of the polling place. I stood in line for just over two hours.

The lines at the early voting places where I live have been running between 1-2 hours all week, according to the news. They expect tomorrow (the last day before election day) to be even worse.

Turnout looks to be unreal this year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.