Is this a good deal on a G4 Power Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
I have two questions that require your "Mac expertise" for a Mac-wanna-be:

1) I have a friend that just got a new G5 and wants to sell me his G4 that he has rarely used (as he is on his ibook & his PC all the time) ...and, as I am a PC person really wanting to get into Macs-I need your Mac advice!!! Is this a smart move for me:
G4 Power Mac
two 450 MHZ cpu's, three 64 Bit PCI slots,768 MB of Ram,40 gig / 7200 RPM
HD,DVD drive,56K Modem,100 MB Network,2 Fire wire,Apple Optical
Mouse,17 Inch Apple Trinitron Studio Display OS X.3 "Panther", Apple
Pro keyboard... will throw in more memory, a CD burner, & software as well- macromedia suite, microsoft office stuff etc....
To cut to the chase-He is asking $500.....Should I bite on this or just go ahead and get serious and go for a new iMac G5????? Help!
2) If I want a new Mac should I order it online from Apple or go to the Apple Store to get it??????
3) Of course a third option would be to get the used G4 to keep my PC company at work and get the G5 for home use....decisons, decisions! ;)

( Oops! this should be in the switchers forum, right? Sorry! )

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
wvmac said:

1) I have a friend that just got a new G5 and wants to sell me his G4 that he has rarely used (as he is on his ibook & his PC all the time) ...and, as I am a PC person really wanting to get into Macs-I need your Mac advice!!! Is this a smart move for me:
G4 Power Mac
Pro keyboard... will throw in more memory, a CD burner, & software as well- macromedia suite, microsoft office stuff etc....
To cut to the chase-He is asking $500.....Should I bite on this or just go ahead and get serious and go for a new iMac G5????? Help!
2) If I want a new Mac should I order it online from Apple or go to the Apple Store to get it??????
3) Of course a third option would be to get the used G4 to keep my PC company at work and get the G5 for home use....decisons, decisions! ;)

Sounds OK to me but it really depends on what software he is "throwing in" with it, i.e the MS Office suite is worth quite a bit on it's own and if you need to use the same data on your PC and Mac it will repay itself (I've tried the OpenOffice route, nothing but heart ache with Work PC's not being able to correctly read files that they created once edited under OpenOffice).

At least that is a nice solid system and should give years of service.

Amen-Moses

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
Amen-Moses said:
Sounds OK to me but it really depends on what software he is "throwing in" with it, i.e the MS Office suite is worth quite a bit on it's own and if you need to use the same data on your PC and Mac it will repay itself (I've tried the OpenOffice route, nothing but heart ache with Work PC's not being able to correctly read files that they created once edited under OpenOffice).

At least that is a nice solid system and should give years of service.

Amen-Moses
Thanks for the reply! I understood him to offer the Macromedia suite (flash/dreamwever/etc) and MS ofice (word/access/frontpage/excel/powerpoint)....I suppose another option would be to get a Mac mini and add it to my existing home set up as it is close to the same price adn it would be new- but it would lack the software...hmmm.......I told my friend I'd let him know in a few days so guess I'll keep thinking on it!

Reaction score
wvmac said:

G4 Power Mac

I recomed for only 500 bucks more get a refurb 1.6ghz 17inch you dont want some slow 450mhz g4. I mean if your just going to do word fine get it but if your going to do a lot of muiltytaksing then i recomend the imac g5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.