Aperture Library.aplibrary - Can I just use my Photos folder?

Reaction score
Can I use an existing folder with photos as my aperture library? In preferences, it wants to create Aperture Library.aplibrary - I understand this as importing my photos into a library (duplicate).

I'd like to retain my photos folder and have Aperture reference this folder.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yes you can - import them as referenced files

OP
D
Reaction score
I now have Aperture set up to look at my "Pictures" folder - Thanks for that, it was super easy!
The Aperture Library.aplibrary file is 4.25G in size. What is actually stored in this file. Thumbnails that allow quick viewing of each photo maybe? Some sort of database? It's fairly big. The actual "pictures" folder is 12.45G.

Can I also have I photo look at my "Pictures" folder too?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Aperture Library.aplibrary file is 4.25G in size. What is actually stored in this file.

I don't know for certain (never been curious enough to find out) but I'd imagine

* all previews (cos your previews exist even when the reference files are offline)
* all adjustments
* all thumbnails
* all keywords, ratings etc

OP
D
Reaction score
So... Importing "Folder as Projects" was easy. But, when I add a new folder to my "Pictures" folder via the finder - Aperture does not update with this new folder. Am I missing something here? Can I have Aperture check my "Pictures" folder when it launches, and update Aperture library accordingly.

Thanks in advance...

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No just import again from that folder - but this time ensure that "do not import duplicates" is ticked

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.