dead iBook G4

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here but wanted to see what you all think....

So my Ibook G4 has been playing up. It first started in August. A loud whirring noise can randomly be heard, followed by a clunk and then the computer turns itself off. After this the computer wont turn on for anything between a minute or a couple of days! This happens whether running off battery or with the adaptor in and whether im running large software or smaller applications.

So i took it to the apple store in august. They reset the power management unit and said that was the issue....3 days later it cut out again.

On the 2nd visit they decided it needed further investigation. Put it on the "test bed" - no system errors were found. 2 software errors were found which were fixed. The ibook was then sent back to be "fixed".

Low and behold...about a week later it cut out again continuously to the extent that it would no longer turn on. Took it into the apple store for the 3rd time. The conclusion: the logic board needed replacing. Free of charge as extended warranty was luckily just about still valid.

So i wait 2 weeks. Now at uni without a computer. EVentually get it back...and guess what....it cuts out AGAIN! So they recommend a new battery. a nice £89 as thats not covered by the warranty.

So the computer finally runs normally for a week...until Sunday when it cut out again continuously. This time so the computer now wont turn back on at all and has completely died :( Took it to the apple store again today and they want to replace the new logic board and try a 3rd one??? and also the little hole where the power adaptor goes in...

2 logic boards, a battery and an adaptor socket bit, all for an Ibook which originally cost about £800

So just wondering if anyone else has experiences problems like this?
But more importantly, surely apple should now be giving in and replacing this? 2 logic boards has now cost Apple about £1300, thats nearly twice the price of the computer in the first place. But more importantly, ive now basically been without a computer for 4 months. This was ok during vacation, but now back at uni, as a graphics student its getting a bit tricky!

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Wellsy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
The logic board is still covered by the warranty, right? I've replaced logic boards on iBooks, but I've never had a reocurring problem like that. It sounds like they went real cheap on you, and didn't replace the AC adapter plug that connects on your motherboard, and re-used the one you already have which is probably why you're still having a problem. Sometimes the AC adapters are faulty and they emit more than 12 Volts which fries the motherboard/logic board. I'd demand Apple covers all of the repairs or I'd dump that laptop and fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
I would probably contact Customer Support and plead your case to them. They may either ask you to send it to them, for a competent repair, or they may replace it.. depending on your wty and case history. But many companies will just replace and entire unit after the 2nd failure of the same type in a short period.

OP
W
Reaction score
mmm thanks guys. it is all covered under warranty so the logic board replacements arent costing me anything, apart from in time! i had to pay for the battery tho so shall defo be getting that £89 back.

i think after this logic board replacement if its still not working then im gonna have to demand a replacement, as this is getting a bit of a joke now!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
Call up Apple Customer service and demand a replacement. After so much hassle they are usually pretty good about a replacement.

Reaction score
mmm thanks guys. it is all covered under warranty so the logic board replacements arent costing me anything, apart from in time! i had to pay for the battery tho so shall defo be getting that £89 back.

i think after this logic board replacement if its still not working then im gonna have to demand a replacement, as this is getting a bit of a joke now!!

I have the same problem. Let me know if you find a fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.