I finally got a MAC!!!

• Thread starter Online-interfac
  • Start date
O

Online-interfac

Finally i ahve gotten a mac...

My names tells of it, now all i need to do is invest in sum wireless gear, get a nice external pc/mac compatabile hard drive and more RAM!!! Am so excited, got it on ebay for $495...

Just gota wait for it to arrive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Congrats....be sure to tell us how you like it once your get it in the mail!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Online-interfac said:
Finally i ahve gotten a mac...

My names tells of it, now all i need to do is invest in sum wireless gear, get a nice external pc/mac compatabile hard drive and more RAM!!! Am so excited, got it on ebay for $495...

Just gota wait for it to arrive...

Welcome to the iBook family :D

OP
O

Online-interfac

It's arrived!!!

I have got it,

It only has 8.6 on it, so the first thing i did was completley reformatted the iBook with the Ibook disc, i pushed the virtual memory up to 200MB's. 2moro i will be nstalling OS 9 then updating it to OS 9.2, then when i get paid in a couple days i will put an order on for a 512MB RAM stick to whack in it, that way i can get OS X up and running on it, and can stop using all this prehistoric software... 8.6 & 9.2 - I hate them!!!

Well, so the far iBook is going pretty well after second day, and im quite hapy as this is my first mac purchase, and just a recent convert from pc, though i will be setting up some new pc's in the next couple of weeks, would go G5 but can build 7 PC's for the same price that would out run the G5 easily when setup to perform certain needs.

Ciao, Dave...

The new iBook rocks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
It only has 8.6 on it, so the first thing i did was completley reformatted the iBook with the Ibook disc, i pushed the virtual memory up to 200MB's. 2moro i will be nstalling OS 9 then updating it to OS 9.2, then when i get paid in a couple days i will put an order on for a 512MB RAM stick to whack in it, that way i can get OS X up and running on it, and can stop using all this prehistoric software... 8.6 & 9.2 - I hate them!!!

sKaD - Sounds good, OS X is by far much better than 9 back. So you'll be really happy when you get it.

Well, so the far iBook is going pretty well after second day, and im quite hapy as this is my first mac purchase, and just a recent convert from pc, though i will be setting up some new pc's in the next couple of weeks, would go G5 but can build 7 PC's for the same price that would out run the G5 easily when setup to perform certain needs.

sKaD - G5s aren't THAT expensive.

$3000/7= $428 Not likely you'd get anything to smoke a G5 out of that little money. And for $3000 you could have a really fast winblows machine that could be as fast as a G5, just not as nice.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Remember it is the fastest personal computer.. so no you woudlnt be able to get a winblows machine that would be as fast as the G5 :)

OP
O

Online-interfac

Murlyn said:
Remember it is the fastest personal computer.. so no you woudlnt be able to get a winblows machine that would be as fast as the G5 :)

Tis true yes i admit, but in australia a dual 2GHz G5 cost over 6 grand! or there abouts...

I can get the parts to build an AMD 2.8MHZ with a gb of RAM and so on for 1000 each, fully optimised! Im not knocking the G5 just with PC prices liek that i couldnt no tbuy and yes it would be faster becasue if you had one G5 loaded with every application on it, compared to 6 PC's that have one or two app's on em they would equate to faster then the G5. But yes i would like to get a G5 they are great computers.

Ciao...

Dave...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Online-interfac said:
Tis true yes i admit, but in australia a dual 2GHz G5 cost over 6 grand! or there abouts...

I can get the parts to build an AMD 2.8MHZ with a gb of RAM and so on for 1000 each, fully optimised! Im not knocking the G5 just with PC prices liek that i couldnt no tbuy and yes it would be faster becasue if you had one G5 loaded with every application on it, compared to 6 PC's that have one or two app's on em they would equate to faster then the G5. But yes i would like to get a G5 they are great computers.

Ciao...

Dave...
I have to disagree on yorur statements. Since I have used several vendor flavors of Unix on a varity of 64 bits machine. There is no comparison, if the software is built for 64 bits. In most case the clock speed of the 64 bit processor is slower, so it would appear. I really think that you are comparing Apple and Oranges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.