Scanner Problem

Reaction score
HI,
I wonder if you can help. My son who is doing music studies at University switched to his Mac because of its capabilties regarding music etc. Unfortunately he has discovered that his scanner doesnt work with Mac. Any clues would be helpful as to how to get round his problem or does he bite the bullet and have to get a new scanner.

Scanner: Canoscan Lide 20.

He has tried Cannon for a driver but they say not for a Mac, although I note later models are compatible with Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I have the same problem with my Canon 4200F

and the same answer from Canon: they don't have a driver and won't be making one for the Mac. As far as I know, bite the bullet is the answer unless you want to run Windows on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
When I switched over, the scanner was the only piece of hardware I had to replace. I could not get my 10 year old HP scanner to work with OS X. I bought this model for $50 w/ free shipping and it has worked fairly well.

Amazon.com: Canon CanoScan LiDE 25 Color Image Scanner (0307B001): Electronics

Just for kicks, you might try downloading the '25' driver which is Mac compatible and see if it works with the '20' scanner. It's worth a try.

OP
G
Reaction score
I will pass on the info re: model 25, I did a check with a dealer and the latest Canoscan Lide 90 is OK for Windows and Mac.
Thanks for replies.

Reaction score
Hello,

first I'm sorry because my english is not so good.O:)

Well, you need scangear & toolbox (free on canon)

but the thing you need too, to read (open) the plug-in is Photoshop, or photoshop element. May be thegimp can do it, but i'm not sure.
And you can find photoshop element with Bamboofun, if you want to make beautifull drawings;;P

I hope it can help you and so many other people.

bye

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
Two things. First, you don't need Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to use Canon software. Here's the link to the software from Canon for the Lide 20:

Photo Scanners - USB Flatbed Scanner - CanoScan LiDE 20 - Canon USA Consumer Products

Read the instructions carefully. If I remember correctly, you have to install the Toolbox software first. I have a very old Canoscan (pre-Lide 20, I think) and the software works fine with both Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5.

If your son wants more powerful software for the scanner, try VueScan.

VueScan Scanning Software

I checked and VueScan is compatible with the Canoscan Lide 20.

Claire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.