Apple TV - I'm a Little Bummed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I just finished building a home theatre room in my basement. My screen is 77" wide (I use a projector) and I've got a 5.1 sound system so I'm ready to go in terms of watching movies and HDTV.

I purchased an Apple TV because I had heard/read good things online from various sources so I took the plunge. Overall, I'm happy with the product but I've also been disappointed on a few points. I was hoping some of you could point me away from what I might be doing wrong or at the very least offer me hope for future improvements.

Here's what's bugging me...

1) I've rented 4 or 5 standard def movies so far as the HD version wasn't available. None of the movies that I've watched so far have had 5.1 digital audio. To me, that's a complete waste of time. I'd rather spend the same amount of money and rent the actual DVD. Hopefully more HD movies have it.

2) This may be due to the fact that I access the "Canadian" store but there aren't as many titles available as I had thought. 80% of the time when I search for a movie it's not there. Oh, and what's with putting a movie up for purchase but not for rent until a later date (e.g. Iron Man, Indiana Jones). I thought they were going for "everything is available the same day the DVD hits the stores"...apparently not.

I know there are only a few points there that won't matter to a lot of people but to me those are big flaws. Am I alone and can I expect to see more titles readily available and maybe the odd 5.1 download here and there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.