• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What codec?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
What codec is needed to get quicktime to play this video file?

Picture1.jpg

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but that is showing 3RVC, which, from what I can turn up is some kind of security camera codec.

Yes thats correct its from a cctv camera, and I already have Perian installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Try installing VLC

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
get a free video converter, I use isquint. it will turn it into mp4 or h264 video format. also if you have iPod or iPhone it will automatically import into iTunes for you! it's free just google it, it's on a number of freeware sites and it's the easiest and best I have tried, and I've tried alot. there is only those two (mp4, and h264 conversions that it will do so it's really a no brainer. just download isquint, open it up open up, then your video file, and drag it in. it gives you 4 or 5 check boxes. convert for iPod, convert for tv, use h264 encoding, and import into iTunes! that's it. I download torrents and run into this problem all the time. after that QuickTime and vlc will play it guarenteed.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually have isquint but had not tried it yet as the other apps I have generally do the job. My guess is that isquint will not be able to convert this, but I will give it a go and see.

Thanks for reminding me about isquint

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As expected iSquint could NOT convert this file.

Any other suggestions?

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.