Long mp3 filenames get butchered when sync'ed to palm, but only on my mac

S

simple

Hi everyone. You guys are been very helpful in the past, so I thought I'd run this by you, since no one else seems to know how to help me.

I have a palm tungsten e, and I use it to play music in the car - off the memory card. My problem is this - when I install mp3's with long filenames to the card, the, the filenames get cut off and replaced with numbers at the end. This wouldn't be a problem except the list of filenames is also my song list, so I need to be able to read them.

If the filename is "jewel - who will save your soul.mp3", after I put it into the palm the filename gets renamed to this: "jewel - who will sa#4543456.mp3".
I have downloaded the latest palm software updates, and no luck. Also no one seems be able to help me on their forums.

When I sync on my windoze box, the filenames come out just fine - so I know its the tungsten supports them. I've looked in all the preferences in my mac and palm software, and again no luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks folks.

Regards,
Simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My guess is that Palm Desktop doesn't support filenames longer than 31 chars (which was the limit before OS X.) Palm Desktop has barely been updated to support OS X; I guess they missed that.

Other than "Use the ID3 tags instead of the filename to catalog your music" I don't think there's anything you can do about that. Maybe you could get a memory card reader?

OP
S

simple

I guess I'll have to sync from the windoze box. Thanks for the info. I have a 1 gig card on the way, that way I won't have to sync as much as with my 128mb card. I wish pocket tunes would read the mp3 id tags for song names like itunes does.

Simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would say that would be the case, probually overlooked that part when creating the new operating system. This problem might be fixed when "Tiger" comes out soon.

OP
S

simple

is there any way to mount the palm/card as a drive... bypassing the palm sync software?

OP
S

simple

Just solved my problem. Downloaded pocket tunes 3.0.6 and it reads ID3 tags and lists song names from them, instead of a file list. Cool, now I don't care that the filenames are butchered :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.