Idiots guide to multiple Operating Systems... please help

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place but.... here goes.

I have what appears to be a standard problem but I can't find a suitable answer when trawling through the numerous websites and forums...

You kind folks looked like you might be able to help.

I want to play my old windows games occasionally (specifically Caesar III and Pharaoh) on my new MacBook, now, I understand I need to use either windows or a fake windows.

I don't have an available copy of windows, can I use (or would you recommend) I use wine? I want to keep Leopard as my main OS.

and... if so... do I need to use bootcamp too?

Please point me in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Unless you are decently tech savy, I would not recommend using WINE. I have used it on many occasions when I only ran Linux, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get most stuff working without problems.

You could try using Codeweavers CrossOver games, which is essentially a commercial version of WINE that is all pre setup, but it isn't perfect either.

Neither option would you need a copy of Windows or bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Pharaoh is listed on their sire as one of the games that has been tested to run on CrossOver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro
I have used boot camp and parallels and both work very well.

OP
A
Reaction score
So I need to fork out for something else anyway.... I guess I might as well try to find someone's old copy of windows huh, then I can run it through/in/using bootcamp...... I guess.

I was hoping that MS didn't have a total hold of the market, what with all the open source stuff flying about, but looks like they do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.