Newby - MB or MBP

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

First post here.:D

My PC laptop just died and I think I am going to make the jump to a Mac. I am trying to decide between the MB or MB Pro.

My MS Flight simulator X really challenged my PC so, I would like to be able to output the picute to my LCD TV and not have it studder. I will also be using photoshop and would like to run some modeling software (ProE type stuff).

Is the MB more than adequate....?

Maybe this is a better question, when should somebody move up to the MBP (types of SW, applications..etc)?

Thanks
JW

Reaction score
If you've got the extra cash I'd say get a Macbook Pro, but the MacBook should be able to meet your computing needs.

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 15.4". Here are my reasons why I chose the MBP.

1) Color. Not a fan of the white or black Macbooks.
2) Screen size. I've had 2 17" notebooks, and my current 15.4" MBP. I don't think I could handle having a 13" screen.
3) Performance. From what I hear, the MBP's are obviously a performer. I use my MBP for Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3, Final Cut Pro 5, Cinema 4D, Office and surfing the net. She handles like a Pro (pun intended).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Go for the MacBook PRO. Considering your Photoshop needs, and probably the graphic intense flight simulator, the dedicated graphics card may be a better idea for you..

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the replys...

I have a few follow-up questions.

1) Can you get both GPUs working together via the GeForce Boost SLI (I have read Yes and No)?

2) Are there protective/filtering covers available for the screen that makes it view more like a Matte display?

3) It has been suggested to me to hold off and wait for the new touch display (like the iPhone). Anyone know about this?

Thanks again
JW

Reaction score
1) I've been doing some reading and all sources seem to point that you can't.

2) I'm sure there will be some screen covers eventually...but not a lot of accessories have came out yet. I'd give them a few more weeks before they starting releasing the normal accessories (ie. covers, screen covers, etc.)

3) I haven't heard about the touch display. If you need a new computer now...get what meets your needs. They'll always be coming out with something new, but you just have to obtain whats available to meet your computing needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
If you want a touch screen then you need to contact Axiotron : Modbook

They can hook you up :) But if you want to run FlightSim X and get good frame rates, you need the Pro. No doubt. I am currently selling my 17 inch pro to buy the new 15.4 inch pro. And my 17 ran sim X rather well for a laptop. So I imagine the new model will do so even better.

Reaction score
As far as using both GPUs are concerned (GeforceBoost), you cannot do it currently. However nvidia did make a statement that it is still possible but Apple has to do their part.

If you are short for the MBP in terms of budget, the MB will cover your needs in terms of Adobe software. Many of Adobe products are not highly GPU based such as Photoshop CS3 as many people assume. It is more CPU intensive. Having said that however, CS4 does implement GPU-acceleration.

You also stated that you want to run FSX, in another case, I would therefore have to recommend the MBP.

Basically, get the MBP :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks again for the input folks.

fungry, do you know what was meant by "Apple doing their part"?

I assume this upgrade (GeforceBoost), could not be done with a SW update.

JW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.