colour sync plus elements, vs full photoshop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.8 Quad Core, 4G RAM, 500G hard drive
Hi - I'm a new switcher and just working out which photoshop software to buy for my new mac. I've been using the full version on my pc and whilst it gets a lot of use, I know I don't use it to max capabilities.

So I'm wondering if photoshop elements will do the job. The only feature missing that would be a problem for me is that it doesn't support converting images to cmyk - as I often deliver files to external printing companies who require cmyk files.

However - I notice that the colour sync app on my mac pro seems to be able to save rgb files as cmyk. If I use this to convert stuff I do in elements, does anyone know if this is any different to if I'd paid full whack to save the file as cmyk within a full version of photoshop?

Thanks for your advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
If you are not using the PC license any more, contact Adobe and tell them you've switched to Mac OS X. They will send you out a new CD and license key and I think they only charge you the cost of an upgrade version of Photoshop.

So it maybe slightly more expensive than Elements but at least you will have every photoshop feature available!

HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can cross grade as martyp said

Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

Otherwise you could also use a graphic converter to convert from RGB to CMYK, it also opens just about any graphic file out there and is great for batch conversions

Apple photo software - Mac picture editor, photo editor, image editor, graphics conversion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I just changed platforms with Adobe

and they only charged me a small fee. It was quick and easy. (Elements does not have masks-- not sure if you use them or not but just letting you know).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.8 Quad Core, 4G RAM, 500G hard drive
That's brilliant - thanks so much for the pointer - I'll get on to Adobe and sort it. And also good to know I can just use a converter to create cmyk files. I don't use the masks very much at all on the full version - but then maybe I will someday.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.