How BIG of a difference is this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Look, it's just a question, a pretty stupid one, but I figured I'd ask:

I picked up a 1st gen. 1.83 GHz MB with 1GB of RAM.

I'm thinking about it, but is it really worth keeping it? I don't know. This is what I use it for:

-An online flash media game.
-Mac-Forums, Yahoo mail, hotmail, ebay.
-Youtube.
-Ichat with webcam
-AIM chats (Rarely)
uhhh....
-Random websites..MLB.com...NFL.com
...uhhh...Yeah that's about it...

I have a 1GHz TiBook with 1GB of RAM
Has tiger on it already, I DO have Leopard I could install...But I won't - I've heard all about the wireless issues they have after installing leopard.

Is it even worth keeping the MacBook? I can do everything I need to with the TiBook except the Ichat with a webcam but I could get an iSight. Or am I better off with the MacBook....It just seems kinda impractical to me? Maybe it's the NyQuil.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keep the Macbook. It's got way more horsepower than any Power PC laptop and more and more apps are coming out for just Intel. The Powerbook is such a dead end.

I have a 1.66Ghz Core Duo mini and 1.33Ghz Last Generation iBook. There is no contest performance wise. They are not even close.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Keep the Macbook. It's got way more horsepower than any Power PC laptop and more and more apps are coming out for just Intel. The Powerbook is such a dead end.

I have a 1.66Ghz Core Duo mini and 1.33Ghz Last Generation iBook. There is no contest performance wise. They are not even close.

I understand, but I don't understand why I would need something with so much horsepower and such when I don't even utilize nearly 1/4 of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 C2D iMac, 2.4 Black Macbook, a few iPods and an iPhone
I would have to agree that the Macbook would be the better choice. You might not need the extra HP now but it will last longer, technologically speaking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Put it this way: The powerbook probably would have trouble even playing high-definition flash videos. It meets your needs now, but will start feeling sluggish even just on the web, in the not to distant future.

But you seem intent on keeping it, so it sounds as though you've already made a decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
I would probably keep the macbook but if you want to get rid of it I will get you my address... dont worry I will cover shipping haha

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not looking for longevity right now..Just practicality.

Perhaps I am being dense..I just don't see the benefits of owning a MacBook right now.

The PowerBook is mine. I have paid for it. The MacBook isn't. I borrowed the money from my father for it.

Granted I only owe him $450 now (I started out owing him $800.) , I loathe owing family members money, not to mention my mother is going to flip daisies and demand I pay her back when I tell her I had to drop 3 out of my 4 classes because I'm so far behind with my illness. (Went to the Dr....She thinks I have mono...Ran the bloodwork for it.)

Thus I would have to pay my mother back as soon as possible, and even if she doesn't flip daisies about it - I want to pay her back ASAP and I'm going to need $350 for the 1 class I'm taking next semester.

Does that make more sense? Plus if I sold the MacBook now and got like $650 for it, that's $200 I can use to pay for next semester's class :D.

Reaction score
You would want to keep it like the other guy said longevity, it will easily last you a few more years. Whereas the other one won't so keep the macbook, you almost have it paid for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
I am not looking for longevity right now..Just practicality.

Perhaps I am being dense..I just don't see the benefits of owning a MacBook right now.

The PowerBook is mine. I have paid for it. The MacBook isn't. I borrowed the money from my father for it.

Granted I only owe him $450 now (I started out owing him $800.) , I loathe owing family members money, not to mention my mother is going to flip daisies and demand I pay her back when I tell her I had to drop 3 out of my 4 classes because I'm so far behind with my illness. (Went to the Dr....She thinks I have mono...Ran the bloodwork for it.)

Thus I would have to pay my mother back as soon as possible, and even if she doesn't flip daisies about it - I want to pay her back ASAP and I'm going to need $350 for the 1 class I'm taking next semester.

Does that make more sense? Plus if I sold the MacBook now and got like $650 for it, that's $200 I can use to pay for next semester's class :D.

Well that is not the question you originally asked.

The difference between the two computers is relatively big, but if it doesnt make financial sense to keep the macbook and your current laptop is fitting your needs then finances trump your computing speed.

Do what makes the most sense for your overall well being not your computing needs

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well this 1.83GHz MacBook goes pretty slowly considering it has 1Gig of RAM...The 2GHz model I had was SIGNIFICANTLY faster than this...So that's why I asked....It's funny because things just go a little bit slower on the PowerBook than on this MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.1 GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, 3MB shared L2 Cache
The difference is pretty big (between the PPC and the Intel), but if you're just going to use it for internet and other stuff then the PPC is fine. I use my Intel for gaming (but mostly internet and torrenting). Stay with the PPC, it's not that it's better, but for what you said you were going to use it for it won't matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you've already answered your own question. You can't afford it, so sell it.
xj6jaguar1985 said:
I loathe owing family members money

Here's an idea: Don't borrow money for computers you a) apparently don't need and b) can't afford.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.