Deleting off external drive -- trashed immediately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Is there an option to send it to the Trash instead of deleting it immediately? My fear is that I might regret the delete and at least I could go back and empty the Trash if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
you would have to put it back on your hd first to use your desktop trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
This is what I think happens...

the file you delete from your hard-drive appears in your desktop trash while the h-d is still connected. When you empty the trash with the h-d still connected the file is deleted.

if you disconnect the h-d without emptying the trash, the trashed file no longer appears there and emptying the trash does not delete the file. When you reconnect the h-d the file still appears in the desktop trash.

Grrrr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.