iPhoto messed up, help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I scanned a photo for the first time and then couldn't find it. Then I found it when I clicked on the MacHD under pictures.

I got to fooling around in there by labeling my rolls and then did something to make me have about 4 copies of everything in my library.

Anyway, I really messed it up so that now I can't open any of my pics from the application. I just get a grey screen with a ! in the center. I can't choose a pic for my screen saver, it just goes to a mac default view.

I think I wasn't supposed to do anything with that "pictures" selection on the HD. :Oops:

Can someone tell me how to get it back or will I have to delete and lose all my pics and start over again?

I'm using iPhoto 06 on my iMac.

Thanks,

Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
It sounds like that the library has become corrupt or "misplaced" for a lack of a better word. Read this article for some troubleshooting tips and possible fixes. It should help get you back on the right path.
Dealing With A Corrupt iPhoto Library

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Thank you so much. I'll try those methods and let you know what happens.

You've given me some very detailed and excellent directions and I really appreciate it. :D

Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
One of the main things to remember is to NEVER do anything to/with your photos in the library in finder. Always use the iPhoto app for everything. iPhoto stores things in its own way so that the app can work properly. If you mess with that (renaming, moving, etc,.) in the finder, iPhoto can't find your pictures and the resulting gray square with the exclamation point. So, once you have this sorted out, stay out of the library in finder.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Mary,

The reason I went into the HD this time was because I scanned a picture and it didn't go into my iphoto library. I then went into the HD to find it and sure enough it was there. I had to try to get it over to my library and that's when I started messing around in there to try to label and move pics.

I think you're right, I need to stay out of there. But I wonder why a scanned pic wouldn't show up right in my iphoto library? I thought that's where I put it.

Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You can't just drag a photo into the library, you need to use the import function to get a photo into iPhoto.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you are right and that's exactly what I did! I still have the thumbnails but when I double click to open up the pic, that's when i get that full screen grey box with the exclamation point in the middle.

I'm reading and following the other advice I've received but it may be that I've lost those pics where I used the drag and drop.

Thanks again for your help.

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.