Wireless Printing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
This post is much like the one that was posted previous to mine except my PC computer is running windows ME.

I have my wireless internet hooked up through a Linksys Wireless Broadband router and I now want to share my printing capabilities so I can print from my Ibook except I cant figure out to go about doing this. Can someone help me out?

My printer is hooked up to my PC computer which is running Windows ME and my printer is also a Canon. Any ideas? Or it may not even be possible. Hopefully it is.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I picked up my PC computer on my laptop in the Print Setup Utility it came up after scanning under the Windows Printing but for some reason it's prompting me for a username and password. How do I get rid of the need for a username and password Im pretty sure I must of did this while Im my PC because I made it so the printer was able to be shared. Then it prompted me to restart my PC so I did and when I came back up it asked for a username and password and I just hit cancel. This is the first time a password prompt has come up on my PC since I dont have accounts.

Any ideas?

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump? i read somewheres that some printers cant be used remotely where can i go to find out if mine cant be used remotely?

F

flonejek

You can just enter your pcs admin details and save it in your keychain and I'm not sure how to get rid of the password... All printers can be used remotely, but you have to have the drivers for them on the client machines, so if your mac doesnt have a driver you'll have to install it (it works by converting the data to RAW o Postscript depending on printer then sending it to server machine, which just passes the data straight to the printer, but you need your printers driver to convert it to RAW/Postscript).

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know the pcs admin details. I never submitted so I dont know what the default username and password would be. Any ideas where I can go on my PC to setup a username and password so I can log in to my PC through my Ibook?

B

badmojo

oldnews said:
I dont know the pcs admin details. I never submitted so I dont know what the default username and password would be. Any ideas where I can go on my PC to setup a username and password so I can log in to my PC through my Ibook?

I found this link from Applejustworks, here in the forums, followed the directions yesterday to a "T" and it works like a champ. The host PC ran WinXPPro, with a Epson Photostylus 825 directly connected to it. The mac was an iMac G5, running Panther.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021230045509864&mode=print

Some notes about my experience:

1) I had to turn off the DSL modem/router's firewall.
2) I had to disable Windows XP SP2 built-in f/w, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to open a port for the printer [and I'm pretty Win savy].
3) I preloaded the Epson printer drivers in the Mac, but I'm still unclear if that had an effect or not.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.