Connect Mac to Mac using USB for Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, unfortunately not Intel processor.
Hi,
I would like to connect my G5 to another G5 using USB. I found a thread talking about Female USB to Female USB but when I look at the links suggested, the cables don't look like what I thought they should. I thought it would be male on both ends. Is there a specific name for this type of cable? I want to use Time Machine to back up to the second Mac. Will this work?

Reaction score
You can't do this.

USB requires that one device (and only one device) on the bus be the master. All other devices are slaves.

Each Mac, though, would attempt to be the master device so they won't work.

What are you trying to achieve? There may be other ways of doing it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have always worked for companies where I was able to work off the main server. The server was always backed up. I have been acquired by a company where I am the only Mac user at this time. Originally they had me on an external drive of my own that was able to work off of through the network. That driver was backed up by a NAS. For many reasons I can't get into them all, the external drive was removed. When I tried to copy my folder from my conputer directly to the NAS, it fails every time the is an enclosed folder. In my case that is everything. It is not a matter of file names being too long. The IT people are useless to me. they have no idea about Macs. Why they don't get me another external drive to work off of I do not know. In the mean time I am working without a net. I was hoping to use the second Mac as my external backup, using Time Machine. That is until another graphic artist is hired, my files take up too much room, or convince these people to get me another external drive. I have too many questions. why was the NAS able to back up my info from the external drive but not directly from my computer? Unless it wasn't and the IT guys just didn't notice. I found something in a forum on how to get the NAS to work with Time Machine, but am reluctant to go into the terminal to do that.
Any suggestions?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, thanks for replying!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.