Wi-Fi connectivity issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod Touch 2g 16GB
Hello. I just got my iPod Touch 2G yesterday. For the life of me I could not get online with it. It seems to be connected to wi-fi (a checkmark and bars next to the network name in settings, full blue bars in the top left corner) but no app that uses the internet will work. Last night it suddenly started working and worked all day today, then suddenly stopped tonight. It isn't my network as all the computers are online (obviously).

I've scoured google and tried everything I came across with no results. Has anyone else has this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
I got myself into a similar tiz a few times recently, then I realised that it was not the iPod, it was the router that had lost it's connection.

What I mean is everything INSIDE the house was good, connection, signal strength etc, but the house was NOT connected (I have Sky Broadband in UK and wish I'd stuck with Virgin).

Are your computers actually connected to the internet or just to the router?

OP
Cappie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My computers are connected to the wireless router and work fine during all of this. Now the iPod is back online, but for how long?

I got myself into a similar tiz a few times recently, then I realised that it was not the iPod, it was the router that had lost it's connection.

What I mean is everything INSIDE the house was good, connection, signal strength etc, but the house was NOT connected (I have Sky Broadband in UK and wish I'd stuck with Virgin).

Are your computers actually connected to the internet or just to the router?

Reaction score
Had the same problem mine would not connect to my router but will connect to my neighbor so i just use his wifi

OP
Cappie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed that it seems to only happen at certain times. I would think it was the network, but all the other computers work while this is happening.

Reaction score
this is normal. the ipod touch's wifi receiver can be spotty at times. if you have many computers connected to the network at the same time you are using the ipod, it can have some impact.

Reaction score
I have a similar wifi problem, where (after toggling the wifi on in settings) it sees and connects to my router, but there's no little wifi icon in the top left corner and it doesn't get any internet. I have to turn the wifi back off, then on again...then it autoconnects "for real" the 2nd time and all is well.

wierd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try a different channel on your router. If there's a signal in a house nearby, they can start interferring if they're on the same channel.

These things are generally router related. There are no problems with the iPod's wi-fi hardware.

Reaction score
I have a similar wifi problem, where (after toggling the wifi on in settings) it sees and connects to my router, but there's no little wifi icon in the top left corner and it doesn't get any internet. I have to turn the wifi back off, then on again...then it autoconnects "for real" the 2nd time and all is well.

wierd.

i have to do the same thing too sometimes to get wifi to work!!! hopefully a new firmware update will fix this

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.