JaS osx86 dvd on a REAL mac? big issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So guys, here is my big problem. I have a Macbook and a old 12' powerbook, I wanted to install Leopard on the powerbook that ran Panther. So I erase the hard drive from the PowerBook and started the installation with the Leopard cd that came with the MacBook, alright, that can't be done, but know the harddrive is empty, I don't have the old panther CD, but I have this JaS Leopard ox86 DVD here, is there anyway that I can install leopard on my PowerBook with what I have now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If that DVD came with an intel mac, then you cannot install it on a PowerPC Powerbook.

If you have a retail copy of Leopard it will install on a PowerBook as long as the processor is over 800 Mhz and the Powerbook meets Leopards Ram requirements

OP
R
Reaction score
If that DVD came with an intel mac, then you cannot install it on a PowerPC Powerbook.

If you have a retail copy of Leopard it will install on a PowerBook as long as the processor is over 800 Mhz and the Powerbook meets Leopards Ram requirements

yeah, the dvd is for intel macs, I know that the Leopard DVD that came with the MacBook don't work on PowerBook. But since I have the JaS osx86 Leopard DVD, and it has all the files necessary for the installation, i thought I could use it somehow, although the PowerBook can't boot from the JaS DVD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, you can not use a OSX DVD/CD that came with a Macbook on any other Mac even if it is Intel. The DVD's are Machine Specific and only work on that exact model Macbook.

2nd, The DVD is for Intel Only since it came with an Intel Mac and would not install on the Powerbook anyway since it's Power PC.

Louishen is correct, you need a retail copy of 10.5 Leopard. What are the specs on that Powerbook CPU wise?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That Jas osx86 DVD is against Apples EULA and therefor against the rules here at Mac Forums. We do not allow the discussion of OSX86 as it violates Apples EULA. Sorry.

Purchase a Retail copy of 10.5 and all will be fine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah guys I know I can't use my macbook DVD, thought I said that before. The PowerBook has the requeriments to run Leopard, the problem is that here where I live (Brazil) Leopard DVD retail is too expensive, so I downloaded a OSX86 Version of leopard, that people use to install on PC's, 6 gigs of files and the powerbook can't boot from it, soooo I needed to modify this dmg file so that the powerbook can boot from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.