Renaming Home Icon is "already taken"....

Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question I am hoping someone can answer.

I am running OS X 10.4.1.1

Here is my question....
I wanted to rename the Home icon on the sidebar so I did, and named it "PARDO" (My last name). However when I restarted the computer my full name appeared as "jonathanpardo"...so i tried to rename it again back to "Pardo" and I get an error saying, "The name "PARDP" is already taken. Please choose a different name."

Why is this? Is there another account somewhere, because when I go to accounts there is only my one Admin Account "Jonathan Pardo".

Please help, thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you rename your home folder without changing the Account name in preferences, then the OS will just create a new Home folder called, in this case jonathanpardo

BY now you will have 2 folders at least in Users

jonathanpardo a fresh folder that was created on start-up

PARDO Your old home folder that you renamed - which still contains all your old files and settings

What you need to do is rename your current User folder jonathanpardo to something like temp

Rename your original home (PARDO)folder back to jonathanpardo, this will restore all your old files. Restart the mac

Now, to change your home folder, this must be done in System Preferences > Accounts. There rename your Account name, this will rename the home folder as well.

Whatever you do, do not rename your home folder in the finder, you risk losing your files, especially if you ever delete your old home folder

Reaction score
He said he renamed the folder in the sidebar. Isn't that an alias?
Would that also rename the actual home folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, it actually renames the Home folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Renaming your home folder will cause you all sorts of problems. Change it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Renaming the home folder directly is a terrible idea. Change it back as Alexis recommended and hope for the best ;)

Use this tool if you still want to change names
DanFrakes.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.