Failed HD? Disk Utility doesn't recognize my HD

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for reading ... all advice and help is much appreciated.

My Powerbook (G4 1.67 15" - OSX 10.4.11) experienced a system freeze. After a forced shut down and reboot all I was getting was the grey apple screen, but no loading wheel. I tried booting in Safe Mode, didn't work. Using Apple Hardware Test I found an "Invalid Memory Access" error. I've experienced this before and DiskWarrior had helped in the past (this may have been the wrong choice this time). I know my memory wasn't the issue (tested in a different machine).

I used DiskWarrior (v4.0) to rebuild the HD. After getting hundreds of errors, the rebuild froze (for hours) and was stuck on the spinning ball. After a forced shut down, start up led to a flashing globe and an unknown volume icon.

When I boot from my OSX install disk and choose Disk Utility my HD is not listed (just my cd/dvd drive is listed). My HD isn't listed in Startup Disk either.

Is my HD volume permanently corrupted/damaged? Any advice on how to proceed?

Thank you very much for your time and help. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give DiskWarrior another go and see if it can get you over the hump otherwise looks like a new drive and formatting coming up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Yeah stay away from the Toshiba hard drives, they're very unreliable. I've had over 10 failed hard drives in the plethurea of computers I've had in the past year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.