Microsoft User Data

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum... just wondering why there is a folder titled Microsoft User Data in my documents. It seems that a new one is created every time I open word. I really don't want it there. Can I just delete the folders each time they come up, or do I have to keep them? And if I have to keep them, can I put them somewhere else so they aren't right in the middle of my important documents (I just don't like the way it looks!)?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
This is where all your Microsoft Office settings are stored. If you use Entourage, all your emails are also stored here.

Word > Preferences > File Locations may allow you to change this. I have thousands of emails stored in there, so it isn't practical for me to test this.

Hope this helps.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. If I am able to change where the user data goes, will it still create a new folder each time I open word? I already have three for some reason, and it is just very cluttered! I would think that it should file into one folder only....

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You have three Microsoft User Data folders?

Tell us exactly what you did and exactly what the folders are called...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you change the location of that folder or remove it each time, you're going to wind up having to reinstall Office 2008. The User Data folder not only contains the Auto Recovery folder but also has all your identity information. And as the previous post pointed out, it contains the email data base for Entourage.

The User Data folder is updated each time you open an Office 2008 application, it just appears as if a new folder is being created. I recommend leaving that folder alone and learn to live with it. There are a myriad of folders throughout a Unix file system which may seem as if they're "cluttered" but most are not visible. It just so happens that the Microsoft User Data Folder gets stored in the documents folder and is visible.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have 3 Microsoft User Data folders... one says it was created on Sept 10, one several days ago and one yesterday. I have just created one folder and I drag them each into the main folder once I see that they have been created. I will be fine just leaving them there, but I would prefer if I didn't have three and if they didn't keep showing up. Maybe I am doing something wrong if there should only be one folder.

Thank you for the advice... I definitely will not delete anything, but if anyone has any ideas why there are several User Data Folders...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There should be just one User Data folder, in Documents as said. Just leave that one where it is, you can delete any others (unless you use Entourage for mail, in which case you may lose emails).

Just leave the one in Documents alone, it isn't doing any harm there, and will just be recreated if you open an office application at any time

Reaction score
Its actually quite safe and easy-- simply move the Microsoft User Data folder into (username)>Library>Preferences. Microsoft office will automatically recognize this and will stop making copies of your user data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.