Macbook 2.0 GHz 4GB vs 2.4 GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
After reading all of the threads about 2.0 vs. 2.4 I can now post with confidence that the 2.0 GHz has more than enough processor speed to accomplish a myriad of tasks at one time. With 4GB of RAM I am utilizing 10-15% of CPU and 2.13 GB RAM at my maximum usage thus far (transfer of 35 GB of music onto Macbook Alum and then putting them in iTunes while running to test speed 10 other programs. I would recommend that if you are torn between the two get the 2.0 GHz with upgrade in RAM, it is plenty fast and has ample memory.

On another note, The new Macbook is sick! Delivered today (ordered last sunday) and I am in love. My first Mac and it is the ultimate experience for a computer. Been on it 10 hours straight and it is ice cold, and blazing fast. Im big into using my DVD Burner, internal and external so I will post performance specs when I run said operations.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I would go for the 2.4GHz version. Only for one reason. You can add RAM later when it is cheaper. You can not add processor speed. 2.Ghz is more than enough for everything IMO but with Snow Leopard will you need that 400Mhz?

Reaction score
I have been looking to get a macbook pro for about 4 months, but now with the new macbook out I do not see the need to pay a lot extra for the pro one.

However I am torn between the 2.0ghz and the 2.4 GHz model. I do not need the extra space on the HDD so the 2.0 is fine for that. I would quite like a backlit keyboard. But that is not worth the extra £150 alone.

i will only be using the macbook for reasonably basic tasks. About the deepest I will go is basic music editing.

How much extra speed will the 2.4 model give to me? And is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
I was in the same boat a while ago and sprung for the 2.4. I learned a long time ago not to settle if I REALLY want something. After all the novelty has worn off, you will be unhappy with your purchase (or at least I am). Is the price difference worth the extra processor speed- No. What about the backlit keyboard-No. For piece of mind and not wanting to upgrade until my laptop until it dies-Yes.

If you have the intent on selling this laptop when Snow Leopard/Nehalem/Some new feature comes out then just get the 2.0. Otherwise, cut back on unnecessary expenditures for a while and get that 2.4!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
I was torn as well but decided for the 2.4 instead. I plan on adding more latter. for now I am very happy with it and the backlit keyboard rocks

Reaction score
I didn't think about the 2.0Ghz. The backlit keyboard was worth the extra money IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would base it on what prossessor intensive apps you're running or going
to run as for the backlit keyboard can't live without it after having it as
for the MBP was my choice for several reasons separate video card,more
real-estate in the screen area backlit keyboard and it was not much difference
in weight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I didn't think about the 2.0Ghz. The backlit keyboard was worth the extra money IMHO.

I'll never buy another machine that doesn't have a backlit keyboard. You really don't realize how nice it is until you've got used to one and then have to use a regular keyboard again!

Reaction score
after looking at many forums, being as i am a student, i decided to get the 2.0 GHz model with upgraded ram to 4 GB. although i would have liked the back lit key board this was not enough to warrant spending the extra money. I'm a amazed at how fast this processor is performing. i know it would be fast. but no matter what i do with it, it just doesn't lag. i have been using midi keyboards with the mac wile downloading an transferring data over the wireless and there has been no delay in what i am playing on the key board. i am very glad i didn't get the more expensive model. i hope this helps any one that is also having the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz Dual Core 15" MBP | 2.2GHz Quad-Core i7 17" MBP | iPod Classic 32GB | iPod Touch 64GB
I'll never buy another machine that doesn't have a backlit keyboard. You really don't realize how nice it is until you've got used to one and then have to use a regular keyboard again!

totally true

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.