Help? Defective Macbook??

Reaction score
I order my macbook (upper end) on the day of the keynote, received it on the 18th. Im hoping its not too late to get it replaced but....

Now...I noticed 1 dead pixel on the upper left part of the screen (about 1.5 inches below the F on Finder) and the battery cover is loose enough so i can make it click with my fingers.

Should i get this replaced? or will they even not bother....?
and what should i say to them??? im kinda scared what to say

Please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
send a letter to [email protected] you will get the executive division you will get it replaced they will call the store for you and it will be ok :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply!! :D

I heard Steve Jobbs is a really mean person....im afraid he wont even read my e-mail??

ill try though!, so i have to tell him that i have a dead pixel, kinda loose cover and i want it replaced?
is there anything else i have to write??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
I'm sure that Steve will get right back to you as he sits around all day answering emails. I would take it into an Apple Store asap and show them your issues. They give you 14 days to return a machine and you can hold that over their head. The may charge you a 10% restocking fee but it would be better to fix or replace your MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
you will get a fast 2 day call from that dept. they want you to be happy, I can guarantee you will be very happy with the outcome:)and m no charges to you.

Reaction score
I keep seeing people post they have dead pixels. I'll be honest, I have no idea what that looks like. Could someone please post a picture? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I keep seeing people post they have dead pixels. I'll be honest, I have no idea what that looks like. Could someone please post a picture? Thanks
google dead pixel:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

There are two types of pixel defect: One is a "dead" pixel which appears as a black spot on a light colored screen. Sort of like a black hole in space. :D

The other is a "glowing" pixel. That's a pixel which remains on and is brighter or a different color than what should be displayed on the screen. It especially shows up on a dark or black screen. This type of defect in my experience is more common than the dead type.

Either one is annoying.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! :D
I tried e-mail [email protected] about 12 hours ago!! (Thanks AirAddict!)
I wrote that the dead pixel was unacceptable, and the loose cover worries me (very politely/intelligently of course ;P )

just a quick question...
I really dont want to just walk in to an apple store after reading the many posts of how people were laughed at by the geniuses over 1 dead pixel. But my 14 day expires on the 2nd of November.... Can i expect a mail back from Steve? or should i just screw the mail i sent and try walking in...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Just walk in and explain that after spending over 1200 on this computer you don't want one with a deal pixel. Be nice, calm and polite and I'm sure they'll agree. If they laugh at you, talk to their Manager (still politely). Tell them that you are still within the 14 day no excuses for exchange and they can't hit you with the restocking fee since you are exchanging NOT returning.

By defintion of the Apple limited One year warranty:

WARRANTY COVERAGE

Apple's warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") warrants this hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase. If a defect exists, at its option Apple will (1) repair the product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product. A replacement product/part assumes the remaining warranty of the original product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you. When a product or part is exchanged, any replacement item becomes your property and the replaced item becomes Apple's property. When a refund is given, your product becomes Apple's property.

It's IN the warranty with the purchase being only 14 days in...they have to do it, laughing or not. If not, tell them politely that they are going against the Apple warranty and you WILL call the Better Business Bureau.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Thanks everyone!! :D
I tried e-mail [email protected] about 12 hours ago!! (Thanks AirAddict!)
I wrote that the dead pixel was unacceptable, and the loose cover worries me (very politely/intelligently of course ;P )

just a quick question...
I really dont want to just walk in to an apple store after reading the many posts of how people were laughed at by the geniuses over 1 dead pixel. But my 14 day expires on the 2nd of November.... Can i expect a mail back from Steve? or should i just screw the mail i sent and try walking in...?

They will email and call you around 4pm EST and set up aexchange for you I had a squeaky O key but it worked itself out they 3 wayed the store and sid I could return it if i wanted, however going to keep it and forget the MBP as I love the size :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Here is what they sent me after the call, Apple has wonderful customer Service

Hello Ms.

Thank you for your time this evening. It was a pleasure speaking with you.

My contact information is listed below. I am available Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Pacific time.

Per our conversation, please feel free to contact me should the issue with the "O" key persist.

Best regards,

Nate Doss
Corporate Executive Relations
Apple
916-399-7032
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
E-mailing Jobs isn't always the way to go. Really and truly, I think they'll replace it seeing as to how new the product is. They replaced my first one and I didn't even want them to. I just wanted them to fix the fan, but they insisted. Just make a genius appointment, grab your box (and everything that came with it), your laptop and your receipt. Show up on time and simply state your case. The geniuses are there to help and they will hear you out. I have had one case in which the genius was a complete jerk, but the next time I went in, I found out that he was no longer working there, and the person I spoke to was incredibly helpful and courteous.

When you're talking to them, just be nice. They are people too, and they understand your frustration. I'm fairly positive that they will replace your macbook (if you really want them to). Like I said, they replaced mine because they found the vibrating fan to be "dangerous". They even upgraded me to 4GB of ram!

Good Luck
Trent out

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh wait............i sent an e-mail from a different address from the one I used to buy the macbook..... I do have an iTunes account with the address I used to mail Steve, and i might've used it if there was a registration process for the first time boot up of the macbook...

I didn't state my phone number or my other e-mail address.... Will this be a problem..?

By the way!! I appreciate your macbook gaming thread CodeSamurai!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
no, they will email you for contact number :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks!!
but one last question that worries me the most
My 14 day expires in 2nd of November
Should i wait for an e-mail (hopefully soon itll come)
or see those dreaded geniuses... (which i hoped to avoid)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There is NO guarantee at what AirAddict is saying.

You are better off taking advantage of the 14 days.

OP
C
Reaction score
yeah... good old steve decided to not reply to my e-mail....
shouldve listened to eric559....
What should i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I always got a 2day reply followed with a call, I am sorry, did you send your phone number?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.