Mini DisplayPort issues

Reaction score
Just got my brand new MacBook Pro and can't hook it up to my 30" Cinema Display beyond 1280x800 with the standard DVI adapter. I ordered the Mini DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter but won't get it until December 2...

Any ideas on alternatives, or at least to bump resolution up to 1920x1200, which technically is supported by both the display and the adapter??

Reaction score
I am actually in the same boat as you except that I've only done the research after having bought another PC laptop with dual-dvi that didn't like my apple cinema 30" screen.

Anyway, when you hook up to your 30" screens (this should also go for dells, samsungs, HPs, etc) using regular DVI, it defaults to 1280x800 even though if you hook up using a dual-dvi connector you can pick all sorts of resolutions and the monitor will display them just fine.

You are pretty much stuck until the adapter becomes available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Make sure you are not in mirror mode (hit the F7 button (looks like 2 squares on top of each other).

Reaction score
just purchased the new 15" macbook pro and 24'cinema screen and coming to grips with it all .have the previous version (one back from the latest !!) of the Imac which i would also like to dual screen use with the cinema screen ..use pro or imac with the cinema screen separatly!!!..advised it can't be done . seem to have all the necessary connections ?? can anyone add some light on the reasons ??
thank you

Reaction score
just purchased the new 15" macbook pro and 24'cinema screen and coming to grips with it all .have the previous version (one back from the latest !!) of the Imac which i would also like to dual screen use with the cinema screen ..use pro or imac with the cinema screen separatly!!!..advised it can't be done . seem to have all the necessary connections ?? can anyone add some light on the reasons ??
thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.