Apple Rot

Reaction score
When I 1st bought my MacBook in 2006 it was epic and fast. I also upgraded the ram to 1gig. I was able to play World of Warcraft and have browsers open and messenger and iTunes and everything was smooth and fast. Its 2008 now and things often lock up or get REALLY sluggish.

I thought a OS re install would help and it didnt. What would cause my computer to not be as fast NOW as it was the day I bought it?

Reaction score
To clear the cache, go to your terminal (search it in spotlight), when you see the prompt, type in:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
It will then ask you for your password, type it in and hit enter.
This will take a few minutes; you will know it's done when the prompt comes up again with your username.
Hope this helps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some of the especially early Macbooks had a batch of Hard Drives that were failing. Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test? Here is a URL that tells how to run it. Run the extended test and see if it finds any hardware errors with the Hard Drive or anything else. A Full reinstall should have made it like new again.

Intel-based Macs: Starting up into Apple Hardware Test

Did you install the exact same version of OSX that came with the Macbook new?

OP
A
Reaction score
Some of the especially early Macbooks had a batch of Hard Drives that were failing. Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test? Here is a URL that tells how to run it. Run the extended test and see if it finds any hardware errors with the Hard Drive or anything else. A Full reinstall should have made it like new again.

Intel-based Macs: Starting up into Apple Hardware Test

Did you install the exact same version of OSX that came with the Macbook new?

yes. Time to get out the old Install discs again. ALSO is it normal that FF is running at 40% when playing a youtube video?

OP
A
Reaction score
Another thing I worry about its my use of RAM.

When I 1st had my computer I could

1. Play world of warcraft
2. Listen to iTunes
3. Brows with safari
4. Talk on messenger

all seamlessly at the same time.

Now if i try to to all of this at once my computer locks up a little bit and freeze up the browser. Its no longer a smooth jump from one application to another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.