Help me decide...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 8,1 C2D 2.66
Im going back to osx and for good. In 2006 i had a powerbook 12" and i loved the thing. Now i want to buy a new mac and i cant decide about the old macbook pro or the new macbook.

- I have the chance to get one of the last "old" macbook pros (15" 2.5) in stock for about 1600 euros. Love the design because its equal to the powerbook and the specs are quite good.

- Saw the new macs and loved the macbook 2.0. It is very very well made and solid. Didnt like the new design in the macbook pro because the black screen and keyboard doesnt look so good in the 15" size.

So, old macbook pro or new macbook?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new MacBook does not have a firewire port - so if that's something you feel you must have, go for previous model MacBook Pro. Otherwise, the new MacBook with its faster memory, larger cache, aluminum case, led backlight, lighted keyboard, plus a new nVidia integrated GPU is a very good buy.

Regards.

Reaction score
Macbook Pro. It has a more powerful graphics card, 2 firewire ports (400 and 800), a regular DVI connector as opposed to the new miniport, and a larger, higher resolution LED screen. The memory speed is inconsequential at this point, and you are getting Pro features for the same cost. I have the exact same laptop I am typing on right now. Buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
New macbook all the way!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think it's a pretty hard toss up between the two. The only thing about the MBP that kind of irks me is that you have to log off to use the other GPU chip set.

Reaction score
Mbp

This is exactly the decision I'm having trouble making. I can find the early-2008 MBP for only a couple hundred dollars more than the 2Ghz new MB. The new Macbooks seem like a huge rip-off to me; Apple raised the price of the entry-level and the only substantial performance improvement is in an integrated Nvidia chipset.

The old MBP has a better video card, bigger, matte screen, faster processor, etc. It is the better machine, but it's not the newest design. Even if you don't use firewire and don't care about glossy screens, the new MB is still not as powerful as the old MBP.

Please disagree with me; it may be better but $1500 is still a lot of cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC BOOK 13in
well if your a tree huger get the new macbook it like energy stared and stuff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.