System Preferences crash

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2 year old iMac and am running on 10.4.11 (updated from 10.4.7 as bought).

When i open system preferences and select network, a dialogue box appears to tell me that 'your network settings have been changed by another application' with a blue 'OK' button. No matter how many times i click 'OK' the same dialogue box reappears instantly so i can not get into any of my network settings.

Unfortunately i no longer have the tiger install disks that came with my iMac as someone kindly lost them for me. I have tried installing Pacifist and extracting the system preferences application from another copy of tiger (not mine so i can't use it to install straight from the disk itself) and i have also tried copying the same application from another mac but with no joy.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Would apple re-issue me with replacement installer disks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very much doubt it as they are not defective but give them a try. Other option is to purchase a full retail install DVD of Tiger. It is a black disc and do not buy the grey model specific discs. Three good rules - never lend money, wife or computer gear! Not necessarily in that order either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
When i open system preferences and select network, a dialogue box appears to tell me that 'your network settings have been changed by another application' with a blue 'OK' button. No matter how many times i click 'OK' the same dialogue box reappears instantly so i can not get into any of my network settings.

I'll be grumpy grandpa and say "you should have searched the Forum for answers about this one!" Seriously, it's well documented on several forums now. There are 'fixes'. Here are the links:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/125211-whats-been-messing-my-network.html
Dialog From ****: Your network settings have been changed by another app - The macosxhints Forums
What's Been Messing With My Network? - macosx.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.